Sign in to follow this  
cortinacrazydub

Just back from a 2000mile trip trough France

I'm sooooooo jelous 😮

I'm sooooooo jelous 😮

its something i recommend every cortina driver do....the thing for me was the roads....i love those road shots

Do like the choice of wheels, they go very well against the yelloy:thumbup:

Excellent, being two weeks away from a charity drive trip to Italy how did you find the roads?

We're going France, Belgium, Germany, Cortina in Italy, Germany, Belgium and back home in 8 days.

Non of us drivers have driven for a while on the 'wrong side'Anything to be careful of or look out for?

Congratulations too, what a superb honeymoon.....

Excellent, being two weeks away from a charity drive trip to Italy how did you find the roads?

We're going France, Belgium, Germany, Cortina in Italy, Germany, Belgium and back home in 8 days.

Non of us drivers have driven for a while on the 'wrong side'Anything to be careful of or look out for?

Congratulations too, what a superb honeymoon.....

Remember to go the right way round the roundabouts , best to follow the car in front if unsure .

Have your co-pilot trained in watching you out of junctions being on the wrong side of the car can be awkward , good clear instruction like " clear left" is best.

Mostly in rural areas cars can give way to traffic emerging from side roads so watch out for emerging cars that may expect you to do that.

Avoid the French toll roads - they cost money and are just boring, plan your route to go on the normal roads and you will enjoy the trip more.

Dont just rely on one card for paying for fuel as oddly sometimes you will find a paticular card isnt accepted :headscratch:

There is a list of stuff you HAVE to carry in your car or you will be fined by the police , this will include a high viz vest or jacket ,spare bulbs, first aid kit, warning triangle for breakdowns and fire extinguisher but varies for different countries look it up and get a set - its all useful stuff anyway that any good motorist should carry ( except breathalyser kits but they are cheap anyway )

If I think of any more I will ad them

if traverling in france a breathalyzer kit is compulsory

You should just clip Netherlands with that route, which makes 8 countries in 8 days! :thumbup:

Avoid the French toll roads - they cost money and are just boring, plan your route to go on the normal roads and you will enjoy the trip more.

They also give you an automatic fine if you speed between booths. Perhaps more of a problem on an 1100cc motorbike than a Cortina, but...

Dont just rely on one card for paying for fuel as oddly sometimes you will find a paticular card isnt accepted :headscratch:

Yup, we've had that - a card inexplicably won't work and some of the petrol stations are unattended - you just insert your card into the pump.

If you want an easy life, Halfords do a European touring pack with everything you need for about £30. But probably cheaper elsewhere.

if traverling in france a breathalyzer kit is compulsory

Two even , though word is they havnt been enforcing that law - I was saying everything else you have to carry is useful back in the UK.

If you want an easy life, Halfords do a European touring pack with everything you need for about £30. But probably cheaper elsewhere.

EBAY - other similar kits available

BUT you need a high viz for every occupant and spare bulbs as well

Yup, we've had that - a card inexplicably won't work

Years ago at the builders merchant " carte étrangère!" " c'est Visa "< best gallic shoulder shrug whilst pointing at the Visa symbol > - they just sent the stuff on credit and I went back with cash afterwards :thumbup:

Only ever happens in France - Turkey , Tunisia , Egypt all cards work fine :headscratch:

Edited by the-ford-cortina.com