Sign in to follow this  
Comp

2.3 timing gears

Hi guys, before the weather improves "hopefully" I possibly should be giving some thought to replacing the timing gears on my 2.3 V 6. The car is 36 years old and only done 15k miles, do you think the gears should be replaced due to age detereation or would you think they would still be OK? I seem to recall the gear being made of nylon. If so any idea where to obtain the associated parts as kit? Many thanx for Reading this Comp.

Hi guys, before the weather improves "hopefully" I possibly should be giving some thought to replacing the timing gears on my 2.3 V 6. The car is 36 years old and only done 15k miles, do you think the gears should be replaced due to age detereation or would you think they would still be OK? I seem to recall the gear being made of nylon. If so any idea where to obtain the associated parts as kit? Many thanx for Reading this Comp.

Just been trying to do some homework on these timing gears and it seems there is an oil feed that is sprayed directly onto the meshing of the gears, if this oil feed blocks " probably due to lack of oil changes" then this is the most common cause of the nylon profile failing. Does anyone know if this causes engine damage i.e. Piston to valve contact?

Well mines done many more miles than yours, I too concidered upgrading mine, but was put off by thought that the replacment gears make much more noise than the nylon and I was told it runs dry, but the metal one would also have to run dry. Further checking it seems the gear does have an oil supply. I'm also lead to believe that the cologne engine is a non interferance design. If I do get a sudden failure the engine would survive the ordeal. I have the AA recovery to get it home so I'm not going to worry about it.

I'm might be wrong....very wrong......:thumbdown:

Edited by skodaboy

Hi,

Many years ago [Mid 90's] I had a MK5 2.3 Ghia that destroyed the factory Fibre Timing Gears. They went on the drive at home and the car spun over no problem at all but obviously wouldn't start, but not a hint of any valve to piston contact. I had a new set fitted, fished out most of the broken gear wheels and all was well. No damage to the engine just my pocket.

Steve

Thanx for the info and you're interest guys.

Err, well due to a sublime piece of planning and the fact that God hates me. The gear has failed on my 2.3, I'm now £225 lighter and just waiting for the weather to improve bf I get it fitted.....

Yes they do feel like they have been kicked......

I just got the car back, and yes the gears do make a noise, but maybe with time they will bed in. At least its back home safe.....which is more than can be said for my wallet...

What have you had, have you gone for steel to replace the fibregear, where did you have the new gear from, l have a cologne that eventually will need a going over.

Err, well due to a sublime piece of planning and the fact that God hates me. The gear has failed on my 2.3, I'm now £225 lighter and just waiting for the weather to improve bf I get it fitted.....

When you fit the new gears before you re fit the cover make sure you put plenty of brake-in lube on the gears (same as on a new cam shaft) this will help bed the gears in and reduce any noise as it all settles down, it does work as i did that on my Farthers 2.3 and I'm sure Mk5Mike will confirm that it runs quietly.

Unfortunately the gear failed at my mechanic mates house while he was replacing the brakes. If it had happened at my house I would have done it myself. So was unable to view the repair.

The gears I settled on were these.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-2-0-2-3-2-6-2-8-V6-Cologne-Alloy-cam-gear-Capri-Granada-Sierra-Xr4-Taunus-/232561206222?

Well I've got an Essex V6 in mine and I bought a new set of metal gears.

On start up and for a while it was noisier, I thought O well I have to put up with noise.

But when I fitted a electric fuel pump and took off the original pump and blanked the hole, on start up all was quiet.

Plus on the Essex, when the fibre gear breaks you throw it away.

• Upvote 1

The new steel gear fowels the fuel pump lift arm, if you remove the fuel pump there will have been chaffing ie metal on metal, the new gear must be slightly deeper than the original, this issue has been discussed on Capri Power and took one grassed off person a long time to discover, you expect them to whine a bit, but not to grate.