Sign in to follow this  
Kingsley

MK5 Windscreen Rubber (Front)

Hi all,

I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to find a new rubber windscreen seal for my MK5. It's a 1982, NZ built saloon.

Absolutely no one in NZ has them anymore, everyone goes up to a MK4 (TE in Australian speak) but not to the MK5 (TF in Australian speak). Multiple places have told me the seals haven't been made for about 10 years. The screen has leaked on me once and I'm paranoid about rusting out the bulkhead below it (I have had drops inside the shield, onto the dashboard at the bottom).

The windscreen was replaced 2 years ago, but the original rubber was used. It's a Moran screen.

Is there anywhere in the UK I could reliably source one and have it shipped to New Zealand? Starting to look like my only option!

Cheers

Hi all,

I'm having a nightmare of a time trying to find a new rubber windscreen seal for my MK5. It's a 1982, NZ built saloon.

Absolutely no one in NZ has them anymore, everyone goes up to a MK4 (TE in Australian speak) but not to the MK5 (TF in Australian speak). Multiple places have told me the seals haven't been made for about 10 years. The screen has leaked on me once and I'm paranoid about rusting out the bulkhead below it (I have had drops inside the shield, onto the dashboard at the bottom).

The windscreen was replaced 2 years ago, but the original rubber was used. It's a Moran screen.

Is there anywhere in the UK I could reliably source one and have it shipped to New Zealand? Starting to look like my only option!

Cheers

Is the seal itself it in good condition (i.e. not perished) then you could consider getting the screen removed and re-seated using an appropriate sealant. All my fixed glass was fitted 'dry' (i.e. without sealant) as I believe is common practice so maybe yours was done the same when it was refitted?

Is the seal itself it in good condition (i.e. not perished) then you could consider getting the screen removed and re-seated using an appropriate sealant. All my fixed glass was fitted 'dry' (i.e. without sealant) as I believe is common practice so maybe yours was done the same when it was refitted?

Thanks for your reply mate

Yeah it was just refitted dry. The guy warned it may leak as the seal is quite hard and the locking strips have retreated / shrunk with age. But the locking strips are still readily available here.

It seems like there are multiple sizes out there. I'm sure my original screen was Triplex (the rest of the glass is labelled as such) and the replacement is Moran. The car was built 04/1982, so will later rubber work for me (any I've found in UK talked about pre or post 01/1981)

Thanks for your reply mate

Yeah it was just refitted dry. The guy warned it may leak as the seal is quite hard and the locking strips have retreated / shrunk with age. But the locking strips are still readily available here.

It seems like there are multiple sizes out there. I'm sure my original screen was Triplex (the rest of the glass is labelled as such) and the replacement is Moran. The car was built 04/1982, so will later rubber work for me (any I've found in UK talked about pre or post 01/1981)

Yes I think Mk5s have the same issue as Mk2s - namely that the shell aperture is always the same but you can get marginally smaller glass / thicker seal or larger glass / thinner seal, so you have to have the right seal to go with the glass. It sounds like you might have a smaller glass / thinner seal combination which is why it isn't sealing properly, but a sealant may well cure the problem.

doesnt Eaast kent Trim Supplies do the windscreen rubbers?

Ah nope they dont

Ford Cortina Mk.5

Windscreen Chrome Insert ....................... £7.28

Carpet Set ......................................£124.58

Door Window Channel ............................ £8.53

Door Glass Seal ................................ £7.50

Door Glass Seal Fixing Clips ................... £0.53

Boot Seal ...................................... £16.50

Sun Roof Seal .................................. £25.59

Vinyl Roof Kit (Incl. Adhesive) ................ £101.67

Roof Gutter Chrome Trim..........................£12.09

Door Seal....................................... £17.87