Sign in to follow this  
TreeBeard

My first cortina!

congratulations to your very nice Estate. :winner: especially like the Britax (or Webasto?) roof and would have never thought that LR8s look so fine on a MK5 :icecream:

good luck with it! :cheers:

Edited by consul315

I saw this estate on ebay and thought it looked like a good purchase. Enjoy!

Thanks.

The sunroof is a Britax... I was slightly concerned about its ability to keep water out but it got hammered today out in a downpour then blasted with hail for good measure!... no leaks yet.

Now to change out the rear valence, repair one but of rot on the front wing, new sound system, find a new air horn compressor, find a pesky little oil leak, touch up a few bits that need it, wax thoroughly... and she's hot to trot!

Hi TreeBeard its Chris who you bought her from; So glad about the roof, she got very little rain time with me & mouldy recaro's would not be cool. Glad you found your way onto here, i always used photobucket to add pix but there's probably other ways. really looking forward to progress pix. Ron bought the spoiler so hopefully therell be a piccy up soon.

Hey chris, sorry I haven't checked on here for a while and missed your message.

Yeah I was a bit panicky about the roof but it's held up a treat!... as a daily driver I couldn't be happier with it.

In fact I took full advantage of the estate down at the marina car boot today:

XIBqTsjl.jpg

As for progress pics... I'm doing the hidden Bluetooth system and new speakers etc this week but I'm waiting on my "car guy" to get the couple of bit of grot cut out before a few little touch ups with my respray guy and a thorough waxing to try and lock in the current patina (a rat rod guy I know suggested anker wax).

That's about it... might replace the air horn compressor and swap out the points for electric... but there's no rush on that.

Thanks for he heads up on the seat... but It looks like I already missed it... whoops

Edited by TreeBeard

oh and my "era sympathetic" company window sticker... subtle:

fsgDe6p.jpg

• Upvote 1

Very nice!

Regarding the anchor wax it is a right mare if you change your mind and need to remove it for a respray!

I've never used it though. This is ust what I've heared!

Very nice!

Regarding the anchor wax it is a right mare if you change your mind and need to remove it for a respray!

I've never used it though. This is ust what I've heared!

thanks for the heads up on the anker wax, I'm still researching the best option to look after the paint long term... if you have any other wax suggestions I'd be very grateful.

the original thought was to get a new clear coat but my respray guy informed me that the paint would eventually bubble through it.

ClBaJrh.jpg

thanks for the heads up on the anker wax, I'm still researching the best option to look after the paint long term... if you have any other wax suggestions I'd be very grateful.

the original thought was to get a new clear coat but my respray guy informed me that the paint would eventually bubble through it.

ClBaJrh.jpg

I used to have a '69 VW baywindow van imported from California with sunburnt paint which exposed the primer and even bare metal in places.

I ended up giving it a good polish and then kept it topped up with carnuba wax to protect it.

There may well be a better way but that's what worked for me. Ended up being very shiney.

Best way to stop that would to bare metal it and repaint before the tin worm takes up residence if it has not already sorry.

It seems to have resisted the rust so far... and I love the original paint too much to respray it just yet... so I think waxing the fudge out of it is the way to go.

Edited by TreeBeard

Best way to stop that would to bare metal it and repaint before the tin worm takes up residence if it has not already sorry.

Yeah that needs sorting out properly.

It seems to have resisted the rust so far... and I love the original paint too much to respray it just yet... so I think waxing the fudge out of it is the way to go.

Looks like its not the original paint though. You can see just above the chrome trim where the original paint is under the new spray job. I think the new paint has reacted in places that has caused the bubbling.