nzgt

Cortina Mk 1 GT 2 Door Rebuild

Looks like a new shell,great work :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Drivers door finished. Only the boot lid to go🤙

DEFC57FB-6FF3-406E-95C8-FBE02295E13B.jpeg

On 4/14/2019 at 8:00 PM, mr Costin said:

how to turn an old car back to new again! Amazing work and thanks for sharing!

Looking at the pics I see one more in the background... are you working on two at the same time?

That’s a pre air flow 2 door that’s getting similar treatment to mine. That one is going to be Honda S2000 powered I believe.

Boot lid complete which pretty well completes the panel work. Stainless trim is all ready to go to the polisher

6A580436-1329-419E-9C6A-6B6B75411EEC.jpeg

6A8B51E2-F223-4F06-B0D2-735D37AFB35D.jpeg

13C3692B-85D0-42A6-B145-235E9C72D82A.jpeg

dogs goniads rot free cortina rare as a white unicorn  lol,love it :car:

17 hours ago, retro toe said:

dogs goniads rot free cortina rare as a white unicorn  lol,love it :car:

It was pretty well rot free to start with just had a hit in the front at some time long ago so replaced both front rails with NOS ones and the front inner guards come from a completely rust free 4 Door we cut up. The other parts on the 4 door saved another 2 door as well plus repair panels for another couple of Mk 1’s

More progress with trial fitting up. Have fitted all the glass but the fixed rear 1/4 window rubbers are not quite right. Has anybody else had this issue?

BCE359D5-255D-42AB-B727-B766B95DD963.jpeg

Mine came up a little tight at the bottom rear corner, they are water tight though and to be honest, it's hardly noticeable.

Went and check out the rubber issue today and both front and rear screen rubbers don’t fit good and the rear quarter glass rubbers are average as well compared to the originals. Need to do some research to sort the best rubbers. Rear bumper I had rechromed has a couple of ripples in at as well so it’s off to get stripped and sort the ripples and chrome again argghh. It looked very straight when I dropped it off but the new chrome highlights any defects. The moulding fit off has paid off big time as quite a few of the mounting holes have had to be welded up and redrilled to get it bang on.

EC582875-11CC-4697-A121-8011C6DB3B94.jpeg

7E14B182-6985-4D2E-A83C-E2E4D86BE584.jpeg

FB464706-7AE8-410A-ADD4-CB633644FA2B.jpeg

DAF5DD32-67AC-4424-B578-8AFDA647CFF9.jpeg

Been very busy so I haven’t spent anytime sorting the rubbers for the Windows. It’s next weeks job when Im back on deck. The front quarter bumpers have been fitted up and there was a few adjustments made to the brackets to get them fitting right. Unfortunately the left hand one has a defect under the chrome so it’s off to the strippers and then repair it and back to the chrome platers arghh

CE3B5381-CCA8-4590-A7A8-3227AB1EAC1C.jpeg

523E8CAB-48E0-4E09-B228-438DB4B16EB7.jpeg

• Like 1

The best rear window seal I’ve had was from retro car seals, fitted spot on. The front one was worse than the one it replaced from the mk1 owners. These are my third set of rubbers and the front still has to be cured to a suitable fit. Do NOT get the rear quarters from east Kent trims that fit so bad I’m sure they’re for another car!!! They know they have an issue with them but still continue to sell them. Whether this issue has been resolved I’m not sure. I had to use two tubes of supa glue to get mine to stay anywhere near, as for the rear lower corner I ain’t got one it’s that bad.

On 7/18/2019 at 3:11 AM, Colr6 said:

The best rear window seal I’ve had was from retro car seals, fitted spot on. The front one was worse than the one it replaced from the mk1 owners. These are my third set of rubbers and the front still has to be cured to a suitable fit. Do NOT get the rear quarters from east Kent trims that fit so bad I’m sure they’re for another car!!! They know they have an issue with them but still continue to sell them. Whether this issue has been resolved I’m not sure. I had to use two tubes of supa glue to get mine to stay anywhere near, as for the rear lower corner I ain’t got one it’s that bad.

Thanks for that. I got the front and rear screen rubbers from the owners club and the rear quarter window rubbers from a guy here in NZ. I think the rear quarter rubbers are made in Thailand. It would appear it’s best to buy each rubber from a separate supplier as it sounds like most of them can get at least one right 

First time I have seen this thread , and just looked at the link to the NZ forum. The work you have done is outstanding. Not many people go to the trouble to unpick most panels to get to the hidden rust in the joins / seams.  Excellent job. 

Edited by a1topdog

On 7/22/2019 at 10:53 PM, a1topdog said:

First time I have seen this thread , and just looked at the link to the NZ forum. The work you have done is outstanding. Not many people go to the trouble to unpick most panels to get to the hidden rust in the joins / seams.  Excellent job. 

Thanks it’s getting close to paint finally!!!

Anyone heard the saying they are ‘exact copies of the originals’? Not in this case🤣 Nothing the grinder, a welder and skills cant put right. Stevie Wonder must have been on the job when these were made🤣

65C81E48-581A-4C46-97B6-5E6F58B31B74.jpeg

3115595F-B05A-410E-B118-78193C5A99F0.jpeg

45BB2F26-9974-4051-B2DE-53D55339D7DF.jpeg