Sign in to follow this  
lordbeaver

Void bush tool

I'm doing the same job now. I've just knocked out the bush on the upper radius arm mounted to the chassis,I used a 27mm socket. The bush including sleeve measures 40mm. The bush that sits in the axle is also 40mm. So,with a 27mm socket,they should knock out. Are you replacing them with polyurethane bushes?

Not cheap but might be worth getting hold of: Clicky

Edited by dgo

I never had much luck using them. ..but ..I don't hv vice on bench. .

Back in the day we used to do it with sockets/studding/penny washers

Them there on flea bay are dear but in your area got to be worth a punt

Jobs are so much easier with the right tools :icecream: kev

Thanks for the replies, i've managed after several hours to get the bushes out of the trailing arms, but don't fancy trying the same thing under the car. Tried making a puller but they didn't budge, but they ve had 40 years to bed in I suppose.

Back in the day we used to do it with sockets/studding/penny washers

Them there on flea bay are dear but in your area got to be worth a punt

Jobs are so much easier with the right tools :icecream: kev

Back in the day there was a car accessory shop round the corner from me. They used to charge 50p a day to hire with a £5 deposit.

When I heard they were shutting down I nipped round and asked if I could buy the tools, he let me have them for free saying I was his best customer when it came the hire of them. Still see the old boy out and about. :)

I never had much luck using them. ..but ..I don't hv vice on bench. .

I have a Britool one and it's quite good, but it didn't have one size, so I had to make up some extra parts for it.

Soaking in penetrating oil the night before helps.

Thanks for the replies, i've managed after several hours to get the bushes out of the trailing arms, but don't fancy trying the same thing under the car. Tried making a puller but they didn't budge, but they ve had 40 years to bed in I suppose.

Did you measure your polybushes before you did that. Some of them need the metal outer of the rubber bush leaving in place especially in the chassis end of the lower arms. Only way really to achieve that is to burn the rubber ones out (without inhaling the fumes of course!)

I have a Britool one and it's quite good, but it didn't have one size, so I had to make up some extra parts for it.

Soaking in penetrating oil the night before helps.

Yes. ...I'd heat arms use part of proper tool and socket on top. .and wack em out. .

Only way really to achieve that is to burn the rubber ones out (without inhaling the fumes of course!)

Stitch drill around the rubber. Hacksaw blade to join up the holes. Pliers to tear out the rubber bit by bit then power file to clean up the steel.

I used to burn them out, blow torch the rubber, give them a few taps with a hammer till the center rubber bush fell out, then i would cut the metal casing with a hacksaw blade, then a few more taps with the hammer and srewdriver or chisel and out they would come and then i would drift the new ones in with a big socket