sierra3dr

Superflex void bushes installed

A great deal difference,than erroded OE bushes,giving a not so cushioned feel when going over uneven road surface. The OE bushes measured 40mm round,and 45mm long. I had to modify the trailing arms to fit the superflex,as they are 48mm long

A great deal difference,than erroded OE bushes,giving a not so cushioned feel when going over uneven road surface. The OE bushes measured 40mm round,and 45mm long. I had to modify the trailing arms to fit the superflex,as they are 48mm long

Would you say they were better or worse than the rubber bushes?

Just curious, as I have some fitted, but my car is still al little way of being driven with them.

I can't really answer that as I haven't tried it with new rubber bushes. But before I installed the superflex the rear end would slide a touch,for example on a roundabout and if there's uneven road surface and I have a bit of right hand down steering on. Now,much rigid

Richard,have you just done the void bushes?

I slowly replaced them all as part of a (very long) ongoing restoration.

No idea what to expect from the car on the road now though. I've only driven a Cortina with worn rear bushes, and that really did feel like the back of the car was almost floating on top of the rear axle, rather connected to it. It was really noticeable if you did quickly turned left then right (or right then left).

I'm not too worried about to effect of replacing the various cotton reel shaped ones at the front of the car with superflex, as they only need to be able rotate, so it probably won't make too much difference to the harshness. It might make it a bit noisier on rough roads, but I can live with that.

The rear void bushes are meant to allow some twisting play as well as rotating in order for the rear suspension to function properly, and I've heard various mixed things about what fitting superflex bushes in these areas does. From locking out the whole rear suspension and breaking mounting points, to stiffening it up nicely so that it handles brilliantly. Always keen to get some real opinions from people who've done it.

The general rule seems to be half rubber and half superflex on the back gives the best/safest resultsm, but then you're back to having replace rubber bushes every year.

Or the middle path of fitting orange floflex - stiffer than rubber but softer than superflex.

Edited by Danish

Iv fitted floflex all round. .wish I'd tried half and half ..making anything that bolts to body rubber. .still considering doing that. .infact I nearly started the job today. .lol..

TBH every cortina i've fully poly bushed has been a dissapointment to the owner, especially if you poly the cradle, so much NVH is transmitted it can grate after a few hundred miles sad.gif any bush that need to flex like the upper and lower voids i try to keep soft or rubber, especialy the uppers as they need to flex owing to the top arms differing angle of movement as the axle rises and falls relative to the bottom arms wink.gif but it's a personal thing many peeps have done it and loved it, i prefer ride over handling though hense my bias to soft and quiet oops.gif

Very true. I'm happy with mine - it has mostly floflex, with some superflex and rubber on the chassis end of the rear arms.

The ride suits the motorsport style of my car, I'm not sure it would work very well with say an original-looking GXL.

Edited by Danish

Fitted the orange floflex all round you've got me wondering if I've done the right thing