Sign in to follow this  
Dave colyer

2.3 v6 with koln axle

If you don't set off every time like your at Santa pod should be fine

I ran a 2.8 on a 2.0 Koln axle for years no issues, and i wouldn't say i'm too steady

Edited by nmonkey220

Can't comment on the strength, never done it, But 4.11 koln from the 1300, I've made both of mine whine if I booted the car from a standstill with just a 1300. Lots of grip and hard starts are what kills axles or half shafts, if they loose traction it's not so hard on the driveline it's when they regain grip again, it jolts everything

A 1600 crossflow koln diff is 3.89 and a better ratio for cruising, it'll save you fuel too. A mate put a 1300 koln in a 1600 mk3 and that screamed with a 4 speed box. A v6 cruising at 4K will cost you a bomb, a 3.89 koln would be better but bear in mind they fitted something like a 3.44 to the 2.3 from new to give you a idea just how much difference that would make.

A mate put a 1300 koln in a 1600 mk3 and that screamed with a 4 speed box. A v6 cruising at 4K will cost you a bomb, a 3.89 koln would be better but bear in mind they fitted something like a 3.44 to the 2.3 from new to give you a idea just how much difference that would make.

I ran my 2.1 Pinto through a 3.89 Köln diff and it was 'okay' - a little high revving, but not too bad.

No that's an atlas diff.

I ran my 2.1 Pinto through a 3.89 Köln diff and it was 'okay' - a little high revving, but not too bad.

True but yours had the T9 I think. It was Joes 1600 with the 1300 diff from my old blue car and at 40 it sounded like it wanted another gear, unfortunately it was already in top. Bigger wheels/tyres help.. but then you get more grip/torque transferred to the internals and associated problems.

There's a guy on YouTube doing donuts with a 24valver with a 'koln' diff But I dunno what he's done with the internals.

True but yours had the T9 I think. It was Joes 1600 with the 1300 diff from my old blue car and at 40 it sounded like it wanted another gear,

Yes, that's true, I had a T9.

If you only want it for cruising then local runs will be fine but unless you put a t9 behind the v6 it won't be a very relaxed cruiser on the motorway. You'd be much better off with a 2.0 or 2.3 axle, you'll be much happier in the long enough.