waynew

1600e 2door

Without never seeing a 2 door E in the flesh, l would have liked to look under the bonnet to look at the chassis plate, however there was no owner about, it seemed as though Bugibba was the meeting point for a cruise around, as we moved down the coast there was a few Spitfires a Mk1 Capri, the Mexico's, which l doubt were genuine, some very tidy Mk1 Transits, the variety was interesting, have you been to Hal Far, l have been staying in Malta for 30 years and this was my first sighting of a 2 door Mk2, which is what l suspect it really is.

26165402_1063120323850553_89640933004135

this will be it - it was originaly a 1300 Deluxe

Looks good! Sitting a bit high for an 'E' but all Mk2 cars seem to be enhanced with a black grille and those spots!

Very interested Hans. They is so little information about these cars that every little helps! And I thought that Lotus Cortinas were rare!!

sorry "waynew" to highjack once more. here´s a teaser Mark, i intend to buy a new scanner soon, so will send you a proper pic for your homepage + the conmemorative coin :D, unfortunately they didn t stamp (print?) a 2 door:

post-2645-0-88273800-1514922531_thumb.jpg

post-2645-0-96355100-1514922691_thumb.jpg

post-2645-0-19409400-1514922743_thumb.jpg

Edited by consul315
  • Upvote 1

26165402_1063120323850553_89640933004135

this will be it - it was originaly a 1300 Deluxe

maybe still deluxe struts ?

Hans, where did you find those items? They are superb, and must be very rare. Strange that they should 'nominate' a 2 door 1600E to celebrate the millionth export Cortina, the most rare of all Cortinas!

Good to see your interest in Jochen's still evident as well.

Dave, looks like standard suspension on the Maltese car, but still looks very good.

Hans, where did you find those items? They are superb, and must be very rare. Strange that they should 'nominate' a 2 door 1600E to celebrate the millionth export Cortina, the most rare of all Cortinas!

Good to see your interest in Jochen's still evident as well.

Mark, i am very keen on period stuff and i collected a few things for my "archive" over the years, unfortunately i never made it to put some order into it, so i don t know exactly what i have. moving house several times, stuff is still in boxes and i ll also have to check, what car-pics i have from my first visits to UK in late 70ies, like these (will adapt them soon, as photobucket doesn t show up any more)

https://www.buysellcortina.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/23379-lotus-cortina-f-reg-gbp-99500/?hl=%2B%2Alotus+%2Bcortina%2A

https://www.buysellcortina.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/25745-tor-756-h-mk2-lotus-cortina/?hl=%2B%2Alotus+%2Bcortina%2A

Edited by consul315

I've had a couple of them, and bought a little stunner earlier this year. All original panels, never been welded, lot of original paint and a near perfect original interior. It had been owned by a French family most of it's life as a holiday car in Spain, and stored there in an underground car park away from the sea...and salt air....since the 1970s.

Since Photobucket went west I can't put any photos up, but I have put what I know up on my Lotus Cortina website here....

http://www.lotuscortinainfo.com/?page_id=3704

I'd love to see photos of your car, and I'm collecting details of the cars to get an informal register of the 2 door 1600E cars. There seems to be very few left, with about 15 known cars in the UK and around Europe, and 1 rhd one definitely still alive in the UK. You can contact me via my website if you want to natter 2 door 1600Es...or Lotus Cortina of course! I'm on Facebook as well. with lots of photos on there of my car.

Mark Kempson

Great little web site you have there Mark - well done!

I think that’s CML238H. I have a photo of an Aubergine RHD 2 door 1600E with that registration, and the details seem to line up with the info on DVLA (Purple, 2004 tax due and April ’70 first reg).

CML627H was discussed on here in some detail many moons ago. It was a black car, original colour Fern Green, and it was scrapped. A member on here (not a very popular one!) called ‘LuckyBlack’ bought the ID, and a LHD 2 door 1600E in Saluki Bronze. The mention of his name gets some folks excited!!

It was converted to right hand drive (poorly) and given the ID of the car that had been broken, CML627H. There were loads of photos on here showing the ‘birth’ of the new car! It never got put back on the road, although it’s still registered as ‘SORN’ on DVLA.

Magnus, if you have any details of lhd cars known in Scandinavia could you let me know, or point the owners at my 1600E 2 door bit on the Lotus Cortina website? I’m sure there’s still a lot to learn about these cars.

mark I went to L/Black`s home and see that lhd converted to a rhd and what a mess he had made of it

He put a load of photos up here showing what a good job he was making of it, but it looked horrible! Waste of a nice lhd 2 door 1600E really.

Edited by TinaInTheForest

i have pictures of the original car somewhere :winner: