lowtina

Mk3 - 5 Windscreen / Front Scuttle Drain Tubes

As title. Anyone got any of these? With or without hose. Someone removed the ones on mine at the last "restoration. Hence the rusty corners and wet carpets!

As title. Anyone got any of these? With or without hose. Someone removed the ones on mine at the last "restoration. Hence the rusty corners and wet carpets!

if you have no luck i might have some

Hi. Nothing so far. If you get bored at the weekend, feel free to have a dig through the garage for drain tubes! ;)

Hi. Nothing so far. If you get bored at the weekend, feel free to have a dig through the garage for drain tubes! ;)

weather permitting.hopefully they haven't disappeared with the rust.

What do they look like. Dont think ive ever seen them

about 9" long rubber tube, with a connector on the end to plug into the hole either side of the windscreen reveal.

I didn't know they existed until I was at MarkyMark's 'helping' remove parts and I spotted them and added them to my pile. I'm not sure whether it's possible to fit them to an assembled car though?

I think you're right! The pipe disappears down through the scuttle and through the A post/inner wing. Fortunately, as well as welding up the drain holes, the last owner also cut some 25mm holes in the front of the scuttle. I have no idea why but they give a nice access point to feed the pipe back down the inner wing. I can weld them up again afterwards.

So is there no way to get to these tubes without cutting into bodywork?

Now worried/curious as to whether they have been removed on my car, or if they're made rubber maybe even perished - as I never even knew these things existed until I read this post.

Where do they actually drain to, and is there anyway to check they are there without hacking into the shell?

Sorry for hi-jacking your wanted thread.

I'll take a pic later. The holes are already in the scuttle corners, underneath where the screen sits. The drain is a small, tapered white tube that pushes into the hole. There's a pvc hose on the end that disappears into the A post, I assume to the bottom, so that water that gets behind the screen seal, drains away rather than sitting in the corners or running over the lip and inside the car.

I think the problem is, because the drains sit in a hole, eventually, the steel rusts around them. The last owner of mine repaired the rust and covered the holes. All good, except now, water gets inside and sits at the bottom of the screen aperture and rusts that too! It's all just part of the fact that in the days of the Cortina, they were never intended to last this long! ;)

You won't see yours unless you take the screen out. Once removed, I would agree you're on a hiding to nothing trying to feed the tubes back through!

Edited by lowtina

You've got me following this now too. My mk4 will be going for it's dip soon and I naively presumed I'd somehow be able to reconnect these, possibly making them a little longer to drain straight out instead of into the sills.

At last! I'm bang on trend! ;) I'm not sure where the hose is supposed to end. I imagined it would come out of the drain channel at the bottom of the a post but I think perhaps it didn't go that far originally. Mine Will! Somehow! Or maybe it's easier if I just bond the windscreen in!

At last! I'm bang on trend! ;) I'm not sure where the hose is supposed to end. I imagined it would come out of the drain channel at the bottom of the a post but I think perhaps it didn't go that far originally. Mine Will! Somehow! Or maybe it's easier if I just bond the windscreen in!

I wouldn't be surprised if the tubes just drained into the sills, that used to be Ford's genius idea with sunroofs until the late 80s - drain them into the sills and let the poor fit-up of the sills drain the water out from there.

My sills had rotted away at the front near the A post, so I am wondering if this drain point may have contributed.

If you do go the bonding root, I got hold of some 3M Windscreen Bonding Sealer - 08509 which I used on an old Fiesta and it worked a treat for making the seals totally waterproof. It kinda looks a bit like tiger seal when you use it, but it doesn't dry or set, it just remains in its putty like state forever, and is pretty easy to clean up.

right guys i finally got my . out to the car and this is what i found apart rust haha.

the tubes go from the sunroof corners down the a pillar to the bottom.i can't tell if they went out the bottom of the pillar or not as there is no pillar.

the tube isn't very flexible but i can't see it getting brittle as it is quite thick.i'll download a couple of pics soon but they don't show much.

the first pic shows the actual tube and the second one shows a very uusual kink or squashed bit that certainly would have caused a build up of water.

post-2140-0-87528000-1517245004_thumb.jpg