lowtina

Mk3 - 5 Windscreen / Front Scuttle Drain Tubes

Wow - thanks for the photos
Where abouts on the car is the recessed channel that the tube is sitting in on the first picture?

Just trying to work out which bit of the car the metalwork is from.

Wow - thanks for the photos

Where abouts on the car is the recessed channel that the tube is sitting in on the first picture?

Just trying to work out which bit of the car the metalwork is from.

nah that's the underside of the floor as the old girl is o her roof.

the tube seems to just be threaded down the pillars with no fixings

Hi, I hope this is a bit of useful information.

When I was restoring my MK5 I had to replace part of the outside of the Drivers Side "A" post.

I was having a look / feel around inside the "A" post from inside the Drivers Foot Well with the Kick Panel removed I was actually looking for any wiring that might be damaged by my cutting disc when I cut the rusty part of the "A" Post out.

That was when I discovered the Drain Pipes from the Windscreen running down the inside of the "A" Post. I think it could be possible to fit the pipes if the Sill was off at the bottom of the "A" Post. It looked as if any water that run into the sill was expected to make its own way out of the Sill.

For further information:

The Drain pipes for the sun roof run down the Rear "C" Pillar and exit the body behind the rear wheel via the space between the bottom of the rear quarter panel and the boot floor.

Steve

I'm wondering if you could feed a long thick guide wire through the drain hole in the top, so that the wire enters the car through the opening behind the kick panel.

Then take advantage of the semi-rigid nature of the drain pipe, by feeding it over the guide wire from inside the car and pushing it firmly up into the A-post. The guide wire should then help in locate properly over the drain hole.

I need to check mine are still there. Can you see the drain from the footwell inside the car or does it end a good way up the A-post?

Jayne said they were only 9" long, so I'm guessing they end pretty high up.

Edited by RichardJ

is this bit anything to do with it all i found it in the rust below where the scuttle should be

post-2140-0-92009900-1517307674_thumb.jpg

It looks like one of the plastic spacers that fits inside the pivot point on the brake (and other) pedals.

The bit that the clevis pin slides through.

It looks like one of the plastic spacers that fits inside the pivot point on the brake (and other) pedals.

The bit that the clevis pin slides through.

this was found on the passenger side in all the rust.

pedals are still on the car

I guess these were fitted to the MK3 face lift models & the MK4 & 5,my preface lift hasn't got them (well it never had on the offside), a good idea though.

It must be the bit then. Here's the one I still have (found it in the scuttle!)

So then, how much dollar to make that troublesome bit of plastic mine?? :)

post-162-0-81465100-1517386453_thumb.jpg

Bugsntinas They are sunroof drain pipes. They are different. The scuttle drains certainly dont go down apost cause ive got no a posts lol

Edited by cortinadale

This is a very similar problem shared with Capri's, the sunroof drain tube exits into the rear of the sill, hence most Capri's with sunroofs have had replacement sills, the modification to do is to drill the replacement sill and weld a piece of tube exiting to the floor, fit the sunroof rubber tubing to the steel tubing with a light lubricant and then weld your new sill on, flood sill with waxoyl etc, l have done this to 3 cars, and hopefully it will not have to be done again. No pics, sorry.