adrianb

Standard Replacement Gas Front Shock Absorber MK3/4/5

Does anyone know where I can get replacement gas front cortina shock absorbers from. They used to be available quite widely but I cant find any now. I can still get the oil ones but not the gas.

I dont want the expensive adjustable ones. Ive tried them in the past and they dont seem to last for more than a few years.

Ebay regularly has them,a good car spares/motor fa tours should be able to get some or somewhere like rally design www.ral-des.com

Thanks for the suggestions. Those are the places I’ve been trying and no one has them. The KYB website list them (KYB-553007) but there’s no stock anywhere. I’ll keep ring round the motor factors.

Is it definitely gas shocks you want?

I think the standard ones were oil/hydraulic shocks, and I still see them come up quite often on ebay as Craig mentioned.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cortina-MK3-MK4-MK5-Front-Shock-Absorber-OIL-Pressure-/121701509556

Old Parts Store used to sell them too, but it looks like they are down to the last one.

It looks like they aren't being made anymore, so I imagine its only old stock left.

Most gas filled ones will be aftermarket "performance" ones, so you may have to look at Gaz or Spax or even Koni's classic range.

These are easier to get hold of, but are about 4 times the price.

It looks as if the replacement gas shocks have all been discontinued. I’ve tried a number of the manufactures (KYB, Monroe, Gabriel etc) and they all say they were discontinued around 2015/16.

I did splash out on adjustable ones a few years ago but despite haveing them rebuilt once, one has failed again. I also find the top bolt seizes inside the Bush. I’ve just spent 12 hours getting one off. I’ve got my MOT next Wednesday so I’ll put on a pair of oil ones.

Thanks for your time and advice.

Like these? SACHS

Edit: Sorry looking deeper that's also an oil damper

Edited by dgo