Sign in to follow this  
nixzy

Mk3 fuel hose plumbing

Hi all, Im in the process of sprucing up my engine bay in my mk3 and was wandering about how the mk3 cortina with a 2.0 fuel hose is placed around the bay, at the moment it comes up by the steering column and then comes up just before the top mount of the subframe and then runs along the top of the chassis tail then goes down to the rad then the fuel pump, i have been looking at heaps of pics and others arent done this way as it doesnt look to flash but I cant find pics in enough detail to get the routing of it, would someone please describe or even better show photos of how they have done this thank you

I fitted my fuel hose as per original. But then I got to thinking, why does the hose run down the o/s chassis rail, then across the front sub-frame. It's not a good layout.

The consensus was that the fuel hose layout is for a cross-flow, and the piece across the subframe is to adapt it for a pinto. So this year I've started re-routing my fuel line - from the tank to the *nearside* chassis rail, then straight to the fuel pump. That removes a load of jubilee clips and junctions, especially as I'm running r9 hose the entire length.

The common route on early cars was fule line plastic pipe goes along the offside chassis rail using combination of clips, 8mm pipe clips, a metal tank (nearer fuel tank) and black plastic slide on clips, again near tank attached to chassis fork, then runs up to front on 8mm clips until it reaches bottom of front lower inner wing chassis rail, from here a rubber fiuel pipe section (usually cloth braided rubber) is used to flexi connect it to a stell 8mm pipe which bends in order for it to weave under the front inner wing exiting (as you say) just near top of subframe mount. from here a short piece of flexi tube is used again, this time to connect to a further shaped piece of 8mm steel tube which attaches to front lower inner crossmember panel using again 8mm pipe clips, it then finishes just below area where the fuel pump is on the 2.0 engine, it then connects to a inline fule filter using flexi hose until finally it connect to carbs. Its wise to secure the inlet brass insert to the carb (if yours is push in type) as they can fall out throwing fuel all over the engine bay. This has been the cause of fires in the past. Whilst flash point of petrol is not low enough on a hot exhaust there still hi chance of fire if a spark occurs.

It seems later cars routed the pipe along an extra metal tang asjacent the brake line, running across the front suspension subframe.

on later cars a second return fuel line was added, the reason for this im dont know.

In a frontal collison i would have thought fuel line safer on the clip than on front valence inner.

All my cars have the fuel line up front.

detailed pics on my videos and build pics of PROJECT RUBY

Pete

• Upvote 1

Sounds like you're thinking of running yours like the later cars. Tank to pump along the nearside. then you don't have to cross the engine bay at all

Sounds like you're thinking of running yours like the later cars. Tank to pump along the nearside. then you don't have to cross the engine bay at all

That's good to know. Up until now I thought it was my own invention, better if there're other cars with this routing.

• Upvote 1

When I plumb up the efi I'll run the return back down the original feed through the sender and the pressured supply up the NS in copper via the swirl pot feed from the modded tank.

If going for a standard set up then yhea the route along the clip as mentioned is fine really because it's pressurised from the pump to the carb, which is away from the exhaust, the problem thereafter is the feed into the Weber popping out, some people tap the carb and fit a threaded barb connector (proper way) but I've seen folk clip them up too. If you buy that steel section running along the clip look for pinholes, being steel. They are usually OK sitting in 40 years of old engine oil but you never know. A copper replacement would be easy to make up using it as a template though. Iirc that's what Pete did on his resto.

Edited by wolfrace

Wow, awesome replies thank you!

The pipe was rerouted on facelift onwards models due to the early setup across the bottom of the front valance would lead to fuel loss in even a minor frontal impact (with potential risk of fire) made worse if faceing down hill.

the problem thereafter is the feed into the Weber popping out, some people tap the carb and fit a threaded barb connector (proper way) but I've seen folk clip them up too.

The new ones have a threaded inlet. I wonder when they made that change.

Not sure when they changed over. I think zoony was helping folk do the mod at one of the nats a few years back, something I would do too if sticking with carb. With the k&n on I can keep an eye on it better but still worth doing imo.