Sign in to follow this  
KKCortina

Mk2 Cortina Dynamo Gen.Light Glowing

Guys,

Gen.light (red) on dash of my Mk2 1600 de luxe glows normal when ignition switched ON......however when engine starts (normal - no issues) the light refuses to go out fully 100% at fast idle ...and retains about 20% of it's intensity whilst driving at 50-60mph!

Tried changing the Dynamo for a known working one.....and also fitted a different Voltage Regulator box (RB340).... checked all wires for connection/tightness......all to no avail..

Could re-polarising dynamo be the answer?

Polarising Method - for a Neg.Earth car do you run a wire from the + pole on the battery and rub/dab it against small terminal at rear of dynamo (with wire disconnected, I assume)....... or is it the opposite (run wire from Neg.pole and rub/dab against small dynamo terminal )

Also does the engine need to be running/ticking over for this re-polarising procedure?

Blimey...it's been a while since I done this...so I'll not say what I remember..

Have you replaced the terminal plug into dynamo...control unit plug ..clean etc..

Earthing to me..

Simon , to polarise flash live terminal of battery i.e.+ to small terminal on dynamo while making sure that the body of the dynamo has a good earth ,flash it several times there should be a blue flash Also check the earth wire on the reg or make a new connection from reg to earth that could cause it .I think the earth wire is separate to the grey block connector .

Thanks Myles - knew you would come to my rescue sometime! Hope all well up in Dublin!

All's well in the Capital Simon ,should have said disconnect big terminal as well before flashing live to small one.

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="myle087" data-cid="672285" data-time="1524156264"><p>

Simon , to polarise flash live terminal of battery i.e.+ to small terminal on dynamo while making sure that the body of the dynamo has a good earth ,flash it several times there should be a blue flash Also check the earth wire on the reg or make a new connection from reg to earth that could cause it .I think the earth wire is separate to the grey block connector .</p></blockquote>

That's it... I hv a nos dynamo here and it has sticker on it saying that..touch the wire from live 4or5 times...