Sign in to follow this  
RT 1006

Pinto engine fuel pump mounting arrangements.

It appears that there are two different Pinto fuel pump mounting arrangements. Some pumps have a spacer of approx 6mm thickness fitted between the engine block and pump whilst on others there is no spacer.

On the engines where a spacer is fitted the push rod that is driven off the auxiliary shaft and operates the pump plunger is 50mm long. On engines without the spacer the push rod is 44mm long.

Just wondering if there is any reason for the two different arrangements? There is no indication or mention of a spacer on the parts micro fiche.

Last weekend I was helping someone who wants to revert from an aftermarket electric fuel pump back to a standard mechanical pump. He got a new push rod still available from Ford but it's the 50mm one. Fortunately we checked things first before before fitting the push rod and bolting on the pump otherwise there would have potentially been some some damage to the engine or pump.

The car is a 1972 GXL with standard 2.0 pinto.

Thanks in advance for any info.

I would imagine that the spacer is some sort of heat sink to take engine heat away from the pump, a couple of the gasket kits I have has them.

It appears that 1.8 & 2ltr engines have always had them but the 1.3 & 1.6 had them fitted from 82 onwards.

I don't know why the 1.3 & 1.6 didn't have them fitted from day one though. :headscratch:

44 mm
Engine: TL13, TL16
1 8/70 - 8/82 1454171 70HF 9400 AA
50 mm
Engine: TL18, TL16, TL13
1 8/82 - 2/93 1515198 72HF 9400 AA
50 mm
Engine: TL20
1 8/70 - 8/94 1515198 72HF 9400 AA

Thanks for that Marky. I misread the micro fiche. Where it says gasket I took this to mean the paper gasket whereas it really means the spacer. Like you say, a bit of a mystery why the 1.6 didn't have a spacer but the 2.0 did :headscratch: . Fuel pipe question coming next :) .