RT 1006

Fuel pipe routing on a PFL Mk3

Can anyone advise on the correct routing of the fuel supply pipe from where it enters the engine bay on a 1972 Mk3 GXL please?

Also, should the vacuum pipe between the carb and servo on the same car be of the rigid steel type or semi rigid plastic/rubber hose?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by RT 1006

Fuel pipe come in on drives side to a steel pipe that runs across front below rad then on pass side to pump.

Servo pipe is a metal one runs across bulkhead with a short hose at each end got one if needed, might have the steel petrol pipe too.

I have a few pictures of the run at the bottom of this page of my Members' Car section:

https://www.buysellcortina.co.uk/forums/index.php?/topic/57205-1972-mk3-cortina-gt-2-door/page-9

I added a second line for fuel return, so you can ignore the lower line on the pictures of the side run on the car.

Thanks Craig and Richard for your replies, that looks like a nice tidy job on the fuel lines Richard.

I was helping someone out with their car this weekend. We replaced the aftermarket electric fuel pump with a proper engine driven mechanical pump but for some reason the original fuel line has been removed and has been replaced with a length of rubber hose that comes up from the off side chassis rail, along the bulkhead behind the engine then along the near side chassis leg in the engine bay and into the pump. Mk4 and Mk5s all have the fuel line running round the suspension cradle. In terms of ease of fitting would it be better to follow the original Mk3 route or use the Mk4/5 route for the fuel pipe?

Craig he'll probably be in touch to enquire about the servo pipe :thumbup:

The later cradle route is safer, the original was dropped as in even minor front end collisions the fuel pipe could be severed.

As said, i would run one single hose from o/s inner wing around rear of cradle and up to the pump.

Here is a pic of the one piece servo pipe that looks pretty std on my XL.

P1040288.jpg

Thanks Marky, I wonder if some cars were fitted with rigid vac pipes and some with flexi pipes? Aside form that I'm a bit concerned that the nyloc nuts holding that air filter box in place are not as original as they should be :) .

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="RT 1006" data-cid="674450" data-time="1529351750"><p>

Thanks Craig and Richard for your replies, that looks like a nice tidy job on the fuel lines Richard.<br />

<br />

I was helping someone out with their car this weekend. We replaced the aftermarket electric fuel pump with a proper engine driven mechanical pump but for some reason the original fuel line has been removed and has been replaced with a length of rubber hose that comes up from the off side chassis rail, along the bulkhead behind the engine then along the near side chassis leg in the engine bay and into the pump. Mk4 and Mk5s all have the fuel line running round the suspension cradle. In terms of ease of fitting would it be better to follow the original Mk3 route or use the Mk4/5 route for the fuel pipe?<br />

<br />

Craig he'll probably be in touch to enquire about the servo pipe :thumbup:</p></blockquote>

Craig I have sent you pm

Thanks Marky, I wonder if some cars were fitted with rigid vac pipes and some with flexi pipes? Aside form that I'm a bit concerned that the nyloc nuts holding that air filter box in place are not as original as they should be :) .

Put your anorak back in the wardrobe Kev. :P

Put your anorak back in the wardrobe Kev. :P

:lol:

Replied.

Seen both types fitted earlier ones seem to have the all rubber one.