RichardJ

Door vapour membranes (mk3/4/5)

Hi All,

Did the mk3 (or later) Cortinas ever have plastic vapour membranes fitted to the doors as standard?

Thanks

Rich

Yep, like a thick polythene sheet that's taped on. Also around the winder spline there's foam rings.

Thanks - Looks like mine are long gone in that case, which probably explains the warped door cards.

Is it just one piece of plastic, or a few little ones that are cut to fit over the holes in the door card?

I've adapted rubble sacks and gaffer taped them on in the past.

Rubble sacks a good shout. They're clear plastic normally but no different to the plastic rubble sacks are made from.you could use decent quality double sided tape to stick them.

I used BUTYL SEALANT MASTIC TAPE off ebay to stick my memberanes on you can roll it out thin as you like very sticky same as manufactures use also stuck my door seals on with it

Thanks all,

Based on the above, I will try and get hold of some clear rubble sacks, which I've seen used on building sites before now.

That way the plastic should be more or less the same as the standard door membrane.

I've still got a load of 3M Refix tape left from when i did my headlining, so I'm hoping this will be up for the task, as it's meant to be resistant to water and sticks like a contact adhesive, so should get a nice tight seal.

I need to try and find the foam rings for the window winders, as I'm sure I did actually have these on the car. It can't be hard to make some replacements up from closed cell foam if not.

It looks like you can get clear polythene sheeting for greenhouses and polytunnels for quite cheap (for a couple of metres at least).

The stuff is pretty thick too, at around 120 microns - so as thick as heavy duty rubble sacks.

It looks like this will cost me about the same as a roll of rubble sacks, so I'll get hold of this and have it look a bit more stock.

If you shop at Tesco and you need to replace your door card membranes then pop in and see if you can spot a manager. Ask them nicely if they will let you have a clear plastic 'cage liner'. Every store uses them to send back their waste in roll cages. They are giant clear polythene bags with an identical thickness and appearance to the original membranes. One bag is enough to do a whole set of 2 or 4 door cards.

The cage liners come in as centralised expenses so there is no cost to the store and they arrive as 40 bags on a roll so they shouldn't mind you asking for just one 👍

Or alternatively I can blag one for you and post it out 😊

If you shop at Tesco and you need to replace your door card membranes then pop in and see if you can spot a manager. Ask them nicely if they will let you have a clear plastic 'cage liner'. Every store uses them to send back their waste in roll cages. They are giant clear polythene bags with an identical thickness and appearance to the original membranes. One bag is enough to do a whole set of 2 or 4 door cards.

The cage liners come in as centralised expenses so there is no cost to the store and they arrive as 40 bags on a roll so they shouldn't mind you asking for just one

Or alternatively I can blag one for you and post it out

That's a good tip.

Supermarkets are normally pretty good at this sort of face to face customer service/help, so it's gotta be worth a try.

I used some floor liner on mine. Still have half a roll.

Richard if you're near Wisley gardens I can probably get some to my sister if that would help.

Pm me if you'd like

Wisley is one of our weekend haunts, but don't worry about digging out the sheets and passing them to your sister, I'm planning on going to Tesco tomorrow lunchtime, so am hoping to get hold of a cage liner.

Thanks for the offer, though, it is much appreciated.