Sign in to follow this  
KKCortina

Chroming Bumpers - Mk2 Cortina

Guys

Got an enquiry from a fellow club member here in Ireland (Cortina Owners Club of Ireland)....... he needs both front + rear bumpers rechromed to a high/excellent quality.

He has contacts in Ealing/London so getting the bumpers sent over and back would be no problem (lucky him!).......

So he is looking for Chromer / Chrome company recommendations in the London area...plus a rough idea of cost per bumper involved.

I can't help you with recommendations but one to avoid is ASHFORD CHROMING, it'd be good to think they're no longer in business but if they are do not go anywhere near them. They ripped off Pete C and their work is extremely poor, I'm sure there's a thread on here about them.

One excellent company in the Potteries, depends on condition of the steel for cost, but my mate has used them recently and it can be around £12.00 a square inch, does vary on the item being chromed, he is currently having some parts done, can be a 6 week wait, not one complaint or problem, for a living he restores Aston Martins and they use the same platers, enough said.

One excellent company in the Potteries, depends on condition of the steel for cost, but my mate has used them recently and it can be around £12.00 a square inch, does vary on the item being chromed, he is currently having some parts done, can be a 6 week wait, not one complaint or problem, for a living he restores Aston Martins and they use the same platers, enough said.

You probably mean £1.20.... at least I hope you do!....... say a 5ft long bumper (60") x say 4" = 240 sq inches x £1.20 = £288?

Probably a bit far from London for this guy's contact in West London......

You probably mean £1.20.... at least I hope you do!....... say a 5ft long bumper (60") x say 4" = 240 sq inches x £1.20 = £288?

:shocking: for nearly 300 quid you should be able to find a nos one KK? :unsure:

No, l mean £12.00 a square inch, there are plenty of places that will do a sh*t job, just a small selection of components normally come to £300.00, what about the stainless steel replacement ones, they would work out cheaper.

• Upvote 1

yes £288 thats about right price

I got some done in a trade deal a while ago and they cost £185 each to get done

plus dont forget you have to have good bumpers to start with as any imperfections may still show through

:shocking: for nearly 300 quid you should be able to find a nos one KK? :unsure:

doubt it Hand more like 500 each for perfect NOS , many new old stock ones get sent for rechroming as well as after 40-50 years the chrome can still have started to pit

the Harringtons stainless steel ones are better but price is up to around £600 a pair now and going up steadily as the value of the £ keeps sinking

doubt it Hand more like 500 each for perfect NOS , many new old stock ones get sent for rechroming as well as after 40-50 years the chrome can still have started to pit

the Harringtons stainless steel ones are better but price is up to around £600 a pair now and going up steadily as the value of the £ keeps sinking

:shocking: i must have a look in my attic, if they are still comfy there.

Prices have certainly ramped up over the past 3-4 years....!

Will inform my friend of developments ..... look like £600+ a pair then!

I have a pair of NOS Bumpers and 2 NOS Overiders for sale.

Genuine Ford £475

I'm in ealing....I had a mk3 front done in Wembley..very good quality..cost me 225..I'll try look up details..

Here ya go..

Colonnde metal finishing

41 Hallmark trade eat

Fourth way

Wembley

HA9 0LB..

for ref..Wembley is just a stone through from ealing..

Hope the helps

Colonnade metal finishers

41 Hallmark Trading Estate

Fourth Way

Wembley

HA9 OLB

0208 902 7722 mobile 07796495505

sales@colonnademetal.com

www.colonnademetal.com

Thanks nogE...and D-Fens.......this info will be passed on to the guy in question - Wembley/Ealung are close .... so rest is up to him

Cactus ..I will pass on your post as well ......best of luck with sale!