chinkamon

Lotus style stripes

Hi all

So I'm looking to put some lotus style stripes on my mk1 Cortina but white, I wandered does anywhere sell them ready made? I bought white vinyl to make them but failed miserably as the lines aren't actually straight but curved slightly an my shakey hands aren't up to it. A local shop could make some but it'd cost a fortune due to the length of vinyl

So I was just going to get some white spray but thought I'd ask here first 

I don't think anyone makes them ready made, but i think someone did have or made masking for them but prob best to mask up and go for it

The Mk1 owners had them at one time, but if you get the best 3M masking pinstripe in 1/4 wide, you can do it yourself, but as you know the car and the lines are not 100% straight, so it does take a bit of effort to get it "just right", the only advice l can give you is apply the tape somewhere dry and reasonably warm, do not spray the paint on too thick as you will have problems when you remove the masking tape, and you will not get a sharp clean line, it will also possibly lift as you remove the tape, also remove the tape when the paint is just flashed off, to hopefully give you a nice sharp clean line. Are you going to clear coat over the paint, is the paint you are painting over sound, l would mask off, sand area with 600, panel wipe, tack rag, then Barcoat the area, then paint the white, sounds like a lot of fuss for a stripe, but the preparation is key, and l don't know what I'm doing, and still have paint problems, despite using the same process everyone. Even had fry ups through the Barcoat, which is meant to stabilise every kind of finish on a car.

As above you could just go for it and throw caution to the wind, it has a fair chance of coming out perfect, l always find the bits that don't matter, come out perfect and the bits you want nice turn out crap. Just done a front bumper and forgot to do the headlight washer jet covers, 6 attempts later, 5 fry ups and they were painted!!!!

Thanks for that ghia I had another short attempt with the vinyl, as the edges are a bit wobbly I've struck on an idea to hide/neaten the edges, if it works ill post a pic, if it doesn't then I won't say thing more about it😂😂

If you do want to do it I have a guide showing the right dimensions etc.

I too have white ones on mine.... :icecream:

Well I've done passenger front wing both doors going to do drivers side when I can then tackle the rear so depending on how it turns out I may be in touch thanks!

If you do want to do it I have a guide showing the right dimensions etc.

I too have white ones on mine.... :icecream:

And no masking lines showing!! :jester: :bleh:

• Upvote 1

And no masking lines showing!! :jester: :bleh:

Yes Jim Colin matched that paint perfectly too....

Well I was going to upload pictures to show you but I can't upload them! So you'll just have to imagine it 😂

• Upvote 1