Sign in to follow this  
inthis2getha

Water pump sorted...now heater has stopped working?!!

Hey guys,

I posted my problems with a water pump swap the other day, thanks again for the help there, thats sorted but noticed my heater has stopped working, it was working fine before the swap, Ive checked fuses are ok, I did have a bit of coolant spray out the top hose on the heater matrix when bleeding but I had a plastic bag over the loom there, any advice would be much appreciated.

Car is 1972 Mk3 Cortina originally 1600 XL now 2L pinto

Thanks,

Ant

Is there power getting to the fan ?

Does the horn still work ? if not check fuse no 5, give it a twist and a rub with a bit of abrasive.

The horn still works, checked all the fuses, theyre ok, how can I check if the fans getting power? Ive tried unplugging it and plugging it back in but nothing!

The horn still works, checked all the fuses, theyre ok, how can I check if the fans getting power? Ive tried unplugging it and plugging it back in but nothing!

With ign on, fan off and fan plugged in you should have power in both wires, switch fan on and you should then have no power in brown and yellow wire. :)

Sorry if Im being a bit slow here....how do I actually check the wires have power? I have a little multi meter but if the fans plugged in where do I put the pins?

Cheers,

Ant

Try plugging the connection to the fan in most of but not all of the way so that you have enough room to shove a multimeter pin down the side to contact with one of the pins, and then the other?

Although having said that - I don't know why it needs to be plugged in either. Just check that you have 12 volts between one of the pins and the other surely? One is a switched feed from the heater controls and one must be an earth/ground connection.

Although having said that - I don't know why it needs to be plugged in either. Just check that you have 12 volts between one of the pins and the other surely?

Yes - you can do this, no need to have the fan plugged in.