Sign in to follow this  
bugsntinas

started to repair the mk5

Replaced the hose today with one of the scrapper. Drivers seat back in after near 2 years too lol

• Like 1

With the car turned round it's time to see the damage at the rear. Could have been a lot worse but damn is it killing my back. One piece of advice I'm after. On the pass side you can see it is rusted above the chassis rail would you just cut the rust out or would you cut a bigger area for strength. 

IMG_0386.JPG

IMG_0389.JPG

IMG_0388.JPG

IMG_0390.JPG

Is any of the chassis itself weak or crumbly? Pending that answer, just cut out the rot, plenty of old engine oil down the chassis when you remove the boot floor areas.

Plenty of people never even cut the rot out, just plate over, which is pointless.

20 minutes ago, GhiaMk4/5 said:

Is any of the chassis itself weak or crumbly? Pending that answer, just cut out the rot, plenty of old engine oil down the chassis when you remove the boot floor areas.

Plenty of people never even cut the rot out, just plate over, which is pointless.

I don't think the chassis is bad but will tell when the rot is out. Would you believe I don't have any oil :(

Yeah pointless just plating I want it to be solid enough. 

I normally clean it all up to clean metal,then cut out the corrosion ,around an inch into the good metal.

• Thanks 1

For the filler neck tube use a piece of plastic drain pipe.

Cut the rot out.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

For the filler neck tube use a piece of plastic drain pipe.

Cut the rot out.

Already sorted that bit as I made one in 2018 but started elsewhere lol

Wow! Good progress! 

• Like 1

Done one small. This isn't a full blown resto as I'll prob do her again in a few years time. Not sure how to do the next bit as it goes underneath the light holder and out to the corner. Think I might just plate this bit as I think it's gonna be worse than it looks

IMG_0391.JPG

17 hours ago, bugsntinas said:

Done one small. This isn't a full blown resto as I'll prob do her again in a few years time. Not sure how to do the next bit as it goes underneath the light holder and out to the corner. Think I might just plate this bit as I think it's gonna be worse than it looks

IMG_0391.JPG

Hi mate,

To do it properly would mean removing some of the back panel to cut out the corrosion & get the new repair section to fit.

If you are planning to do it again in the future you could just plate over it for now.

Good luck :biggrin:

17 hours ago, bugsntinas said:

IMG_0391.JPG

Hi,

The boot floor goes under the back panel and the rear valance goes under the boot floor. So you have a triple thickness joint. It is quite difficult to take it all to pieces as it is spot welded along the joint behind the rear bumper.

Cheers

Steve

2 hours ago, Deano66 said:

Hi mate,

To do it properly would mean removing some of the back panel to cut out the corrosion & get the new repair section to fit.

If you are planning to do it again in the future you could just plate over it for now.

Good luck :biggrin:

Yeah I guess plate for now. I have a campervan conversion up next and I'm planing on using that for a few years and then prob sell her and put some money into proper panels for the tina

Edited by bugsntinas
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Steve Walton said:

Hi,

The boot floor goes under the back panel and the rear valance goes under the boot floor. So you have a triple thickness joint. It is quite difficult to take it all to pieces as it is spot welded along the joint behind the rear bumper.

Cheers

Steve

Cheers Steve. Just confirms it's not straight forward. Will definitely leave it until next time as some of the chassis there needs work too