dobbo

Granada Scorpio 2.9 12v Engine.Which A4LD auto gearbox is fitted ?

I have a Cologne  2.9i  12 valve Engine removed from a 'H' Reg 1990 granada Scorpio. I would like to know which series of the A4LD Automatic Gearbox is fitted. Believe it has the 4th gear lock up clutch. Would it be the A4LD , A4LDe or a A4LDE. Can anyone advice which series of the A4LD auto box it would be by the age. If you could point out what i need to look for on the atuomatic gearbox to identify i am happy to look. Your help much appreciated.

Hi,

I have an A4ld fitted in my Mk5 Cortina. I also have a tame Auto Box Man.

What I can tell you is:

A4LD Box has NO electrical connections at all, it is a mechanical lock up torque convertor. These are quite a rare box.

A4LDe Has an External Electric Kick Down Solenoid on the nearside of the box just behind the bell housing. There is also an electric connection [Plug] behind the solenoid that operates the Lock Up. Kick Down Solenoid is activated by a switch on the throttle linkage. These were fitted to Early Sierras.

A4LDE. Not sure about this one apart from it is fully electric and has an ECU some where in the car. And has an sensor for the speedo in the tail shaft housing as well as another sensor that runs to the ECU. There would be quite a substantial loom running to the box as well. These were fitted to the Scorpios etc.

I would think that the box in your Scorpio is an A4LDE

Hope this is of help.