Sign in to follow this  
John Gallagher

Cortina MK3 2 Litre Pinto Thermostat Housing

11 hours ago, Paul B said:

John, I had the very same problem earlier in the year. Waited forever for it to arrive (got lost in post) then when it was here the stat rattled around like a d#ck in a bucket!

Like you, I tried combinations of original and new parts arriving at the conclusion it's the housing at fault. On the phone Mr Burton made out I was some kinda fool for not realising you have to bend the clip to make it stay in.

WTF?!!!

I didn't accept that. The clip is flat coz that's how it was originally designed. The housing was designed to accept this clip and the correct washer. This arrangement has worked for years with no problem, why make it different?  All they had to do was copy the original. I don't get it. 

Oops, I'm going on a bit. Sorry. Craig's right.

Ps. I cleaned my original up in the end and refitted all original parts.

I Repaired mine with J-B Weld last night fitted it back on all ok,that’s what the idiot said to me you have to bend the clip which he was talking a load of crap so I wouldn’t buy any thing from them as there brakes,engines must me made in China so I will wait till I come across a original housing

😄 dick in a bucket..

My OE one was corroded inside so the spring retainer slot was eaten away to the point where that allowed the stat to rattle around a bit. i replaced the spring but needed to tweak it to give a tighter fit due to the corrosion.. even so when I took the housing off a couple of years later to fit the new one i got on ebay the bent spring was still ok.

For sure maybe bending it aint the 'right' thing to do but I doubt i've stripped my last pinto where after pulling the stat housing i find the original 40 year old spring clip inside has dissolved and yet they all ran ok.. So i doubt bending a little clip does any harm in the grand scheme of things.

Edited by wolfrace

I believe there's been alot of complaints re there alloy RS 2000 sumps too.

I have a brand new original old stock Ford Thermostat Housing. Also brand new Ford old stock thermostats. 

£20 for the housing and £5 for the thermostat. Collection only from Harrow, North West London.