Sign in to follow this  
jonny.k

32/36 Flat spot

I recently got my mk3 back on the road after a 5yr hiatus and have found that even after a rebuild kit being fitted to the carb it still has a flat spot when accelerating. It was there before the kit and i hoped a kit would sort it, but it hasn't, Could it be the Power valve diaphragm needs replacing because that wasn't in the service kit, but i have noticed it's included in the full rebuild kit.

Assuming as part of your rebuild you cleaned out the jets and the filter on the fuel intake?

Also did you check/set the float level?

Outside of fuel is the timing set OK and have you checked for air leaks on the intake side/through any of the pipes connected to the manifold including the vacuum advance one?

All the intake has been checked, it's a new manifold gasket, and the timing is spot on. The carb is off my 2.0L mk5 and when i ran it on that it had the same fault but worse. My mk3 has now got a 1.8L pinto and had no flat spot with the twin choke Pierburg, but it had no acceleration either. Now it's got loads of acceleration but a small flat spot if you floor it, so it's definitely a fuel delivery problem, because the 1.8 would need less fuel than the 2.0 hence it has less of a flat spot.

Is the accelerator pump squirting when pressed (look down the throat & see if cracking throttle dos it) if not try a new diaphragm. 

Think I've got one if needed.

Assuming you are getting vac advance. I had a bit of a flat spot and noticed the vac tube to dizzy was cracked, probably stopping it from advancing right if i gave it a bootful or on a hill. Just chopped half an inch off and reconnected that sorted it out.  

I just rebuilt one of these. My power valve diaphragm was leaking you can test it by placing a finger over the port. It should hold some vacuum. Don't think the PV would cause a flat spot - just make the engine a bit gutless.