Sign in to follow this  
cortinacrazydub

HEAD BOLTS - 1975 MK3 2LTR PINTO

I going  to order few bits from Burtons , I'm looking at pinto head bolts , can someone tell me the difference between the two links and which ones suit my car...

https://www.burtonpower.com/head-bolt-late-stretch-torx-type-ford-sohc-pinto-each-ft1005a.html

https://www.burtonpower.com/head-bolt-early-non-stretch-type-ford-sohc-pinto-each-ft1005.html

The stretch type can (or should) be used only once, and then thrown away, whereas the non stretch type you can reuse time and time again.

I know which ones I’d go for!

Depends how much you want to spend but an ARP stud kit depending on how many times you think you'll end up taking the head off end up paying for themselves (£120ish) they are overkill really but it's what I'm fitting as there aint a better quality manufacturer of engine fasteners imo. I'll do the rod bolts with ARP too, no doubt. 

They also allow you to align the head gasket and head as you rebuild.

if you have your original head bolts they should be the non-stretch type and can be reused

On 12/10/2018 at 10:46 PM, wolfrace said:

Depends how much you want to spend but an ARP stud kit depending on how many times you think you'll end up taking the head off end up paying for themselves (£120ish) they are overkill really but it's what I'm fitting as there aint a better quality manufacturer of engine fasteners imo. I'll do the rod bolts with ARP too, no doubt. 

They also allow you to align the head gasket and head as you rebuild.

I've recently fitted ARP studs. I've bought too many sets fo stretch bolts over the years. Non-stretch ware £75 for a set so the £120 for studs aren't so bad. I found it much easier to locate the head with studs, but then I use an overhead hoist - so I can just lower down and make sure the studs engage.