Sign in to follow this  
mcgill56

Steering

Help! I have removed the front cradle of my 72 cortina mk 3 for refurb. On refit i find the steering rack column  does not match up to the steering wheel column. The coupler looks to be about an inch short and the only thing i can think of is that ive refitted the cradle to chassis bushes into the wrong holes. I noticed two were centered and two were off centre, pleas dont tell me that i have to take the whole lot out again 😣

There isn't enough adjustment to be that far out.

Can u post a pic?

Have you put the lower column to far on the rack?

Have you fitted a replacement lower column? As some replacements can differ in length,also the pas ones are a lot shorter.

Have you pushed the upper column upwards? As there's a shearpin that you may have broken/dislodged allowing the inner to slide up inside the outer.

Have you removed the steering column as there are slots on the mounts.

Pics will be a big help.

I've checked the steering column and all seems fine as there is no movement. I removed the steering rack along with the lower column, cleaned it up then replaced it.  I cant see any adjustment on the steering rack fixings.  The two endsof the column mate together but i seem to remember they meshed before with a bracket holding them together. I will take a pick tonight to see if that can throw any light on the problem thanks.🙂

The inner column extends and retracts to cater for movement in the subframe.  You'd be surprised how far it can move under heavy braking.

Grab the triangular part and pull.  It should slide out, though will be quite tight.  You must have knocked it in a bit whilst working on things.

I will give it a try thanks. This is the problem I've got, never thought about trying to pull down  😊

20190523_161047.jpg

That looks like inner needs pulling down.

Ooh matron!

Well that was a real DUH ! Moment in my life 😊 problem sorted, many thanks guys 😃