Sign in to follow this  
inthis2getha

Koln to Atlas swap.....???

Hi guys,

Finally got my hands on an atlas to replace my koln axle, just wondered if this was going to be a straight forward swap or hard work, will it fit straight in and bolt up or will I need a different prop or anything? It’s a 2.3 V6 atlas and I have a 1972 mk3 Cortina, 2L pinto with type 9 5 speed box and koln axle, was originally a 1.6 XL, 2L pinto and 5 speed box done before I brought it, I’m guessing the koln axle was the original 1.6 item but who knows!

Any help or info would be much appreciated,

thanks,

Ant

Straight swap

Thanks a lot, that’s what I was hoping to hear 😁 I wasn’t sure whether the koln and atlas pigs heads were the same size/fitting to the prop shaft! So koln out and atlas straight in....excellent.

Thanks again I really appreciate it 👍👍

No probs glad could help.

Watch out for the difference in ratios between the two axles - do you have the right speedo drive?

Hey sheffieldcortinacentre,

As it’s a straight swap fitting wise any idea if the drive will be very different, the atlas has 3.44 ratio but not sure what ratio my currently fitted koln has!!! Or how the ratio difference will affect drivability!

Cheers,

Ant

The kiln is probably a 3:89 from a 1.6, the 3.44 is probably from a 2.3 or late 2.0.

This will give you slightly slower acceleration but more mpg & slightly higher to speed.

Hi dgo,

Not sure about the speedo drive, it’s always been a bit off but just put it down to the 2L and 5speed box being fitted, maybe the Atlas will correct it.......maybe!