Gheko

Pinto backfiring

Hi guys, looking for a bit of help, Mk3 cortina 1600 pinto, fitted with Sierra electronic dizzy bought off one, of ye guys, I can’t seem to get it running properly as it’s spitting and backfiring up the carb. Timing set at around 8 degrees btdc, take it any further and it won’t turn over hardly, take it back the other way and it’ll turn over but won’t start. Any help appreciated as I’ve spent way too much time at this. 

Hi john yea firing order spot on, it’s driving reasonably ok but when you floor it it spits and backfire up through carb. Has me baffled 😕 

Do you have the old dizzy? If so does it run OK with that fitted?

Have you replaced the ballast wire with a normal piece & swapped the coil to a non ballasted 12v one?

• Like 1

Yep done all that, didn’t refit old dizzy, might try that, only didn’t want to have to go to all that trouble again. Anything else I could try before I rip it all out again 🙈🙈

Nope but sounds like timeing.

Is the vacumn advance working?

yes my thinking aswell, but ive been over the timing several times and all seems good, how would i check exactly that the vacum advance is working? could it be an issue with thr carb itself ?😫🙄

Just spent half an hour twice one finger typing a reply pi££ed off to say the least!

I effing give up tried to pm you & same problems keeps saying site unavl if so how have I managed to type this & other replies stupid computer.

Edited by sheffieldcortinacentre

Sorry, don’t get you ? You having tec problems 🙈👍🏽

Yep had this once before wouldn't post my reply wouldn't mind but takes me ages to type.

Will pm you if it lets me

You should have a basic message as it still refuses to let me send a detailed answer I feel a 2lb tuneup coming on.:gun::jason2: