Sign in to follow this  
ash5896

GXL Grille

I want to restore the grill on the GXL can anyone point me in the right direction of where to start please? It does have a lot of tiny dents on it in various places. 

Can it be done DIY or shall I leave it to a professional?

i'm not sure if anyone has a achieved a restoration to OE spec,but to do that it will need to be re anodised at an anodising company after all the faults have been rectified,so not impossible.

Small dents can be planished out ,and scratches smoothed using appropriately fine wet n dry abrasive paper.

An alternative to anodising is to remove all the anodising that shows and then polish the aluminium to the shine level desired ,but because  it will have no coating on it it will have to be maintained by hand,and its not possible to get the exact anodised look.

Edited by Captain Scarlet

Thanks for that really appreciated 

i guess that anodising will cost a fortune? not sure what´s the current rate for a nos one, but maybe cheaper and better result in the end?

On 9/18/2019 at 1:34 PM, consul315 said:

i guess that anodising will cost a fortune? not sure what´s the current rate for a nos one, but maybe cheaper and better result in the end?

I’ve not come across one as of yet. I saw one just before Christmas but it was taken off before the actual end of the auction

As an example used the fetch £100-150 .

Last year I sold 3 full setups for an average £275!

On 9/21/2019 at 11:10 PM, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

Last year I sold 3 full setups for an average £275!

there is sh grille and backplates only (without mountings etc) on ebay currently. so maybe a nos grille would be around 3 to 400gbp minimum, what you think??

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cortina-mk3-GT-Grill-Grille-Quad-headlights-twin-Lights-backing-plates/174039460005?hash=item28858f68a5:g:oZ8AAOSwGvVdZEbA

Yes probably.

Mines in about similar condition as this one. I’m hoping one pop ups but no rush to get one