nixzy

Mk3 temp gauge problems

Hi all, I am trying to figure out why my temp gauge is not working correctly in my mk3 pfl.all it does it raises from the needle stop and only moves the smallest amount. I have swapped the gauge over from my spare cluster, I have changed temp sensor on the head, I have continuity from the cluster to the sensor and it still doesn’t work, I have a VDO temp sensor hooked up which works fine. What could cause this? 

No help sorry, but I'm watching this with interest as I've had the same issue on a mk2 Transit with 2.0 pinto.  Over time I've changed the thermostat, water pump, sender, clocks, and tested the wiring, all with no difference.  I too added an aftermarket temp gauge which shows the actual temp is fine.

Have you tried putting the sender wire to earth with ignition on? It should put the sender to the top of the gauge. I had the same issue with my MK5 and it turned out to be the gauge. i now have a good collection of new sender units that I bought in the hope one might work. :sofa1:

Cheers

Steve

Also might be a prob with the voltage stabilizer.

When I ground out the sender the temp gauge shoots right to hot straight away, so that means the gauge is still good?, where can I find the voltage stabiliser and test it?

8 hours ago, nixzy said:

When I ground out the sender the temp gauge shoots right to hot straight away, so that means the gauge is still good?, where can I find the voltage stabiliser and test it?

Yes that shows the Gauge is Good :thumbsup:

Are you sure that you have the correct sender unit? It should have a White insulator.

The voltage stabiliser sits on the back of the istrument cluster it is about 45mm x 22mm Black in colour and held in with a single screw. They do come up for sale on Ebay. I might have a spare on if you are stuck.

Cheers

Steve

The mk3-4 is a metal box as said above. If you find it is faulty you must make sure you get the correct replacement Or the gauges won't read correctly.

Unfortunately the only way to tell (without testing is by the sticky label part number should start 71BB)

I have just ordered a new voltage stabiliser, hopefully it will fix it