Sign in to follow this  
Steve Walton

Mk5 Rear Suspension Height.

Hi,

Rear Suspension Sorted [I think !!]

Changed the standard Burton coils for a Pair of Burtons -1" coils and fitted them today. The height from Hub Centre to under the wheel arch is now within 5mm of where I started from.

The drivers side is now at 335mm which is where it was to start with. The near side is at 345mm aginst 353mm starting measurement.

The car has had wheel arches replaced both sides so that may have a little to do with it.

I replaced the thin plastic seats at the bottom of the coil where it sits on the lower arm with a pair of new ones from Super Flex these were 6.4mm thick against the originals at 0.5mm.

These Seats are available in 3 sizes: 6.4mm 12.7mm and 25mm. Great for fine tuning the ride height.

The first picture is of my Spring Collection. Original Ford on left, Std Burton in centre and -1" Burton on right.

The second picture is of my car today. I think it is sitting OK. I have put around 30 miles on the new coils and they have not settled any.

I will keep hold of the std Burton Coils for a while to see if all is well with the set up I have now.

Cheers

Steve

DSC02059.JPG

DSC02060.JPG

:thumbsup:        That sits lovely, remind me what springs are on the front?

31 minutes ago, John Mack said:

:thumbsup:        That sits lovely, remind me what springs are on the front?

Not to sure John, I think they are Std as I seem to remember I tried -1" and there was next to no movement in the suspension.

But we now have Gaz Shocks all round.

Steve

1 hour ago, Steve Walton said:

Not to sure John, I think they are Std as I seem to remember I tried -1" and there was next to no movement in the suspension.

But we now have Gaz Shocks all round.

Steve

Old original standard springs or new standard(maybe Burton) springs?

2 hours ago, John Mack said:

Old original standard springs or new standard(maybe Burton) springs?

Ah sorry John,

New Burton Std Front Springs from what I can remember.

Steve

10 hours ago, Steve Walton said:

Ah sorry John,

New Burton Std Front Springs from what I can remember.

Steve

Thanks.

Hi all,

I've just been reading through this thread as I'm having problems with my rear suspension on my '75 MK3. Both sides are at different heights and it's further complicated by the fact the arches are rubbing on the tyres over even the slightest of bumps. 

What is the best Burton spring option for a standard height MK3? 

These:

CS159

Or these:

CS157

ns arch1.jpg

os arch.jpg

Mk3 is different to a 4/5  & looking at the wheel in pic it's probably down to your et.

Plus my thoughts on Burton's products is well known.

Hi all, I fitted a pair of the Burton 157 rear springs today and it was sort of successful. The car now sits level and the new springs are firmer, I took the car for a short drive and all seemed good once they seemed to settle. I went out again this evening with 4 of us in the car  (a six year old , my 35kg wife and her twin sister, so pretty lightweight!) and the rubbing is back (albeit much reduced) and I'm not sure which way to go next, would fitting a decent set of dampers (possibly Gaz?) help? I did see mentioned earlier on this thread that different thickness lower spring seats are available for fine tuning. Cheers.

Dampers have no effect on ride height.

You problem is the offset/width of your wheel & tyre..

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

Dampers have no effect on ride height.

You problem is the offset/width of your wheel & tyre..

I think you're right but I'm keen to keep these wheels and I wondered if any dampers have adjustment for the compression stroke. If it comes to it I'll get the arches rolled. 

7j on the back will do that with a Ford off set , if there’s a enough metal behind the wheels maybe get them machined a few mil off 

Maybe a bodyshop could roll the arch lips a bit?

51 minutes ago, John Mack said:

Maybe a bodyshop could roll the arch lips a bit?

That might be the only solution, was hoping to avoid more bodywork and paint but it might be the only way around it.

Posted (edited)

Loads machine the backs of the wheels

these days take one off and see how much is there to work with

Also see how far you have left as the sit to the inner tub now 

Edited by J2S