chris mk3

coming back...........................

Very good progress, have you set yourself a timescale, looks like it will be ready for paint next week!!

• Haha 1

No time scale, i just love restoring it, maybe a house full at the mo is giving a further push!

Did some cutting, panel making  and welding in the boot today, both edges, usual Cortina rust , all was going great until the gas bottle fell and smashed the gauges there goes another £40 ! DOH !Ive also turned the gas up a little and getting a much nicer flow on the welds now.

SAM_6601.JPG

SAM_6602.JPG

SAM_6603.JPG

SAM_6599.JPG

Edited by chris mk3

Cheers Deano,

im just loving having a Cortina again, if i ever talk of selling please step up and give me a talking to ! 

• Like 2

Yes, the house full, is bad, I'm down at my business unit every day, the wife sais it isn't fair, she's self isolating, been seriously ill before, it's my place of work, it's essential and I can not do it at home, l work on my own, which can be advantageous and sometimes very distracting, as today, l worked on 7 different cars, all finished, tomorrow it's Cortina time, but that is still a long way off!!

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Im hearing you loud n clear on that brother (full house)

5 hours on the Cortina this afternoon, mainly cause i was going insane stuck in the house, bare metaled the body used only three of those fibre discs that fit on a 4.5 inch grinder, there really good and leave the body super smooth,( for those that havent used em), ive only found a few pins holes, doors, bonnet, boot,and wings, are eventually going to be dropped off at the chemical/strip place local to me, if you drop them off late evening, they do a cash in hand strip, oooh errrr.

Im  not sure it would have lasted much longer parked up, doing this has really made it look like its turned a corner from its garage park up in 1991

SAM_6611.JPG

SAM_6612.JPG

SAM_6613.JPG

SAM_6614.JPG

SAM_6616.JPG

SAM_6617.JPG

SAM_6481.JPG

SAM_6490.JPG

Edited by chris mk3
  • Like 2

Great progress, I am amazed that only 3 discs were required for so much progress. What discs did you use?

• Thanks 1

Great progress

It looks in much better condition without the paint.

Good to make the most of this weather and the time you have.

• Thanks 1

They look like fibre glass bonded on a  cutting disc, i bought them online, Halfords sell them, there really good, and last well,yep 3 discs today to do all this.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/UK-5X-4-Poly-Strip-Disc-Abrasive-Wheel-Paint-Rust-Removal-Clean-Angle-Grinder/283845996242?hash=item42168a2ed2:g:jvEAAOSwjQtelELc

Edited by chris mk3
  • Thanks 1

so glad i found this, great to look through. cant wait to see more progress.

Im cracking away at my 2 door GT mk3 in NZ, this certainlty give motivation. Cheers

13318866_10208519277853835_112423127_n.jpg

• Like 2

No worries, lovely solid Mk3 you have there, where in NZ are you??

And looking at the link answers the coarseness of the wheels, 46 grit, do they leave heavy scratch marks?

• Like 1

im not sure of the coarseness, but no heavy scratches at all, you could primer and paint after,  dont go heavy with them , keep moving around to disperse the heat, i only work them a little harder on the body to get into the rust, you can see how smooth and scratch free it leaves it on the roof pic, just have a try on some panels, honestly there so good

SAM_6613.JPG

• Like 1

I did one of mine with paint stripper and scraper, they look easier, will invest in some, thanks for sharing.

• Like 1