swcortina

Mk3/4/5 back axle

2 hours ago, Scooby said:

Thanks. That ratio should be fine, tho' not exactly what I was after. (It won't matter if I just use the half-shafts tho'). 

Crewkerne is a tad far at the moment, but will be fine as the current situation eases up.

That's actually quite a good combination.  The gear ratio with those wheels and tyres gives you just under 23mph per 1000 RPM or just over 3000revs at 70 mph in top

A standard 2 litre cortina with a 3.75 final drive and a type 9 gearbox (which quite a lot of us have fitted) on standard wheels and tyres give a very similar 22.3mph per thousand revs and 3100 revs at 70mph in 5th gear

Doubt that would cause it to bend.

11 hours ago, dgo said:

That's actually quite a good combination.  The gear ratio with those wheels and tyres gives you just under 23mph per 1000 RPM or just over 3000revs at 70 mph in top

A standard 2 litre cortina with a 3.75 final drive and a type 9 gearbox (which quite a lot of us have fitted) on standard wheels and tyres give a very similar 22.3mph per thousand revs and 3100 revs at 70mph in 5th gear

Thanks so much for this, dgo. Anything around 3k rpm at 70 is good, as this beast will rarely go over 50 - man, the wind

I agree about the cause of damage too - a couple of inches of extra leverage ain't going to bend an axle under normal conditions. Almost certainly the car (perhaps even the donor) was slammed hard against kerb or rock, and that would have destroyed whatever wheel was on it at the time too. The weird thing is, I think the other side has a tiny amount of wobble too, tho' it's been a few years since I had it on the road so I may be remembering incorrectly. What would clobber both sides if so?! 

I'm about to start getting the car back on the road, but - as you can see - it needs more than a rear axle. There seems to be a few Kohn axles available at any time - including a nice one from SWCort which also isn't too far away once travel restrictions are lifted - so I'll wait and see if I can ideally get a 3.75 for my lighter-than-Cortina kit which only has the 4-speed 'box, but would settle for a 3.89 when the time comes. 

(Mind you, it's possible that only the Atlas is available in 3.75, unless Ford fitted Kohns to the last 2.0L Mk4 & 5s too?)

17 minutes ago, Scooby said:

...............(Mind you, it's possible that only the Atlas is available in 3.75, unless Ford fitted Kohns to the last 2.0L Mk4 & 5s too?)

Yes only Atlas in 3.75 as far as I know (I'm sure Craig can confirm).  Careful with Atlas axles though they come in 3.44 from 2.3 engined cars and by the sound of things with your wheel size you don't need that

Question for you on the halfshafts - you're certain they''re the issue and not buckled wheels?  Just had to ask

Thanks dgo.

Yes, 100% certain it's the axle - these alloy wheels are a replacement for the Weller steels it came with, and the wobble is as pronounced with whichever alloy is placed on that hub. When I first got the kit, I did wonder if it was the Weller that was buckled, but the wobble is actually detectable on the brake drum itself when rotated; scuff...scuff...scuff... :-(

Thanks for the info on the Atlas. And I'll try and determine for certain what ratio my current axle is.

Yep you need a 2.0 atlas for a 3.75.

To bend both shafts I'd say going over a kerb at 90 degrees at speed, possibly a spot of dukes of hazard jumping (but I'd expect the case to be bent too from the latter).

Edited by sheffieldcortinacentre

6 hours ago, Scooby said:

Yes, 100% certain it's the axle - these alloy wheels are a replacement for the Weller steels it came with, and the wobble is as pronounced with whichever alloy is placed on that hub. When I first got the kit, I did wonder if it was the Weller that was buckled, but the wobble is actually detectable on the brake drum itself when rotated; scuff...scuff...scuff... :-(

Just to be 110% certain it might be worth putting a clock gauge on it, you can get an El crappo one for a tenner that would do the job fine, just need to rig up some sort of holder cheap DTI

Cheers, Sheffield and RT. 

Most likely the ratios are as you say, Sheff. A Kohn would be absolutely fine for my use anyway.

When I finish scraping and painting my last chimney stack, I hope to start on the car. I'll triple-check the issue then.

Thank you to everyone for their help. :-)

hi

if your only after the half shafts , i am after the drum internal as i snapped one of the levers , would you or anyone be interested in selling me the levers ?

Might have the levers can you post a pic?as 1.3/1.6 used two types.also which side as they are handed.

Hi CortinaDusty.

I hope Sheffield can help you out as it's likely to be a while before I chase an axle in earnest, and fair chance I'd need all the brake parts too as I think I recall there was a fair bit of wear to the self-adjusting mechs in mine. Sorry.

1 hour ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

Might have the levers can you post a pic?as 1.3/1.6 used two types.also which side as they are handed.

your a star , will post pic tomorrow ,

ty again

1 hour ago, Scooby said:

Hi CortinaDusty.

I hope Sheffield can help you out as it's likely to be a while before I chase an axle in earnest, and fair chance I'd need all the brake parts too as I think I recall there was a fair bit of wear to the self-adjusting mechs in mine. Sorry.

nowt be sorry for scooby , cheers and good luck wi yours 

13 hours ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

hi sheffield

the not so good pic is of the broken lever that sits at top of the brakes , i searched and searched but cant find them , let me know if you need any other info , and ty again in advance 

brakes.jpeg