Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
The Sales Rep

The First Of The MKV's Now Tax Exempt

Recommended Posts

As from yesterday (1/4/2020) all 1979 cars are now tax exempt so the first of the MKV's will now qualify.  It's good that all 1970's cars are finally exempt but it seems to have taken a long time to get there (I think i'm right in saying that it was in 1995 that the exemption was first introduced).3230394004_c7e94a640c_c.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

that brings tears in my eyes, wish we had something similar over here as well. we have to add 20percent extra on the horrendous tax for a car without catalyst (ie for a classic).

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Few years to go for mine, they are X regs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, GhiaMk4/5 said:

Few years to go for mine, they are X regs.

Me too, I'll try and use it more as a celebration !!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mmm,

            Mine is an X reg as well.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Couple more years for my two W reg.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

:thumbsup: it's a good thing not to have to pay but remember to re-register as "historic".  I've just renewed mine (1978) for free 

 

In theory doesn't need an MOT either but I still get one done by a local place that understands older cars

Edited by dgo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd love to save £270 a year, but not going to try and risk registering mine as historic.  A few too many mods on mine to meet the critera!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Mine would qualify if I was there but I'm not as it's a Dec 79.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/2/2020 at 11:28 PM, The Sales Rep said:

As from yesterday (1/4/2020) all 1979 cars are now tax exempt so the first of the MKV's will now qualify.  It's good that all 1970's cars are finally exempt but it seems to have taken a long time to get there (I think i'm right in saying that it was in 1995 that the exemption was first introduced).3230394004_c7e94a640c_c.jpg

 

So it runs from April in the year if you have a vehicle that qualifies as Historic.

I wasn't sure how it works to be honest. 

This is my scenario; Mk4 Cortina, reg date 1/8/79. Couple of changes i need to do in order to keep it true on the log book would be change engine number (still a pinto but a later one) and colour and taxation class.

Then go to the Post Office and tax the car as Historic and let them send it off to the DVLA. Theres no MOT on my car at the minute, would that matter?

 

Any help appreciated.

 

:thumbsup:

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It goes on build date not reg date the 5th & 6th letters of chassis number give you the build date.

Don't worry re engine.

 

But only list one change on logbook at a time as the DVLA only get confused by more than one change at a time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/8/2020 at 11:48 AM, MK5CortinaEstate said:

I'd love to save £270 a year, but not going to try and risk registering mine as historic.  A few too many mods on mine to meet the critera!

 

it doesnt matter if the car was built over 40 years ago it still qualifies for free tax , its the MOT exemption you cant have if its modified 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, martog said:

 

So it runs from April in the year if you have a vehicle that qualifies as Historic.

I wasn't sure how it works to be honest. 

This is my scenario; Mk4 Cortina, reg date 1/8/79. Couple of changes i need to do in order to keep it true on the log book would be change engine number (still a pinto but a later one) and colour and taxation class.

Then go to the Post Office and tax the car as Historic and let them send it off to the DVLA. Theres no MOT on my car at the minute, would that matter?

 

Any help appreciated.

 

:thumbsup:

 

no it doesnt matter if its MOTed or not you can still change the tax class 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

It goes on build date not reg date the 5th & 6th letters of chassis number give you the build date.

Don't worry re engine.

 

But only list one change on logbook at a time as the DVLA only get confused by more than one change at a time.

 

Cheers fella. Might risk the colour change as well as the Taxation class change and see how we go.

 

BTW, i never did come for that glass. Don't worry about it and i hope you got yourself something nice with the money. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, the-ford-cortina.com said:

no it doesnt matter if its MOTed or not you can still change the tax class 

 

Cheers Dave. :thumbsup:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...