Sign in to follow this  
The Sales Rep

The First Of The MKV's Now Tax Exempt

As from yesterday (1/4/2020) all 1979 cars are now tax exempt so the first of the MKV's will now qualify.  It's good that all 1970's cars are finally exempt but it seems to have taken a long time to get there (I think i'm right in saying that it was in 1995 that the exemption was first introduced).3230394004_c7e94a640c_c.jpg

that brings tears in my eyes, wish we had something similar over here as well. we have to add 20percent extra on the horrendous tax for a car without catalyst (ie for a classic).

• Sad 1

Few years to go for mine, they are X regs.

55 minutes ago, GhiaMk4/5 said:

Few years to go for mine, they are X regs.

Me too, I'll try and use it more as a celebration !!

Mmm,

Mine is an X reg as well.

Couple more years for my two W reg.

:thumbsup: it's a good thing not to have to pay but remember to re-register as "historic".  I've just renewed mine (1978) for free 

In theory doesn't need an MOT either but I still get one done by a local place that understands older cars

Edited by dgo

I'd love to save £270 a year, but not going to try and risk registering mine as historic.  A few too many mods on mine to meet the critera!

• Like 1

Mine would qualify if I was there but I'm not as it's a Dec 79.

On 4/2/2020 at 11:28 PM, The Sales Rep said:

As from yesterday (1/4/2020) all 1979 cars are now tax exempt so the first of the MKV's will now qualify.  It's good that all 1970's cars are finally exempt but it seems to have taken a long time to get there (I think i'm right in saying that it was in 1995 that the exemption was first introduced).3230394004_c7e94a640c_c.jpg

So it runs from April in the year if you have a vehicle that qualifies as Historic.

I wasn't sure how it works to be honest. 

This is my scenario; Mk4 Cortina, reg date 1/8/79. Couple of changes i need to do in order to keep it true on the log book would be change engine number (still a pinto but a later one) and colour and taxation class.

Then go to the Post Office and tax the car as Historic and let them send it off to the DVLA. Theres no MOT on my car at the minute, would that matter?

Any help appreciated.

:thumbsup:

• Like 1

It goes on build date not reg date the 5th & 6th letters of chassis number give you the build date.

Don't worry re engine.

But only list one change on logbook at a time as the DVLA only get confused by more than one change at a time.

On 4/8/2020 at 11:48 AM, MK5CortinaEstate said:

I'd love to save £270 a year, but not going to try and risk registering mine as historic.  A few too many mods on mine to meet the critera!

it doesnt matter if the car was built over 40 years ago it still qualifies for free tax , its the MOT exemption you cant have if its modified 

4 hours ago, martog said:

So it runs from April in the year if you have a vehicle that qualifies as Historic.

I wasn't sure how it works to be honest. 

This is my scenario; Mk4 Cortina, reg date 1/8/79. Couple of changes i need to do in order to keep it true on the log book would be change engine number (still a pinto but a later one) and colour and taxation class.

Then go to the Post Office and tax the car as Historic and let them send it off to the DVLA. Theres no MOT on my car at the minute, would that matter?

Any help appreciated.

:thumbsup:

no it doesnt matter if its MOTed or not you can still change the tax class 

23 hours ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

It goes on build date not reg date the 5th & 6th letters of chassis number give you the build date.

Don't worry re engine.

But only list one change on logbook at a time as the DVLA only get confused by more than one change at a time.

Cheers fella. Might risk the colour change as well as the Taxation class change and see how we go.

BTW, i never did come for that glass. Don't worry about it and i hope you got yourself something nice with the money. :thumbsup:

20 hours ago, the-ford-cortina.com said:

no it doesnt matter if its MOTed or not you can still change the tax class 

Cheers Dave. :thumbsup: