cortinanz72

MK3 2 door GT rebuild

26 minutes ago, cortinanz72 said:

Cheers for that. i wonder what my chances are of finding one, hens tooth id imagine. 

i m npt very deep into MK3s, but usually- especially nos ones- fetch good money, while this one went cheap:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cortina-Mk3-Gt-Not-Gxl-Boot-Chrome-Trim-/223933098557?hash=item342373ea3d%3Ag%3AGpEAAOSw49BeXBC0&LH_ItemCondition=4&nma=true&si=Vggeudru59yoTZTNK11xO6dA4Ec%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

as it´s just a plain chrome strip, maybe you can make some yourself till you find genuine ones??

Edited by consul315

6 minutes ago, consul315 said:

i m npt very deep into MK3s, but usually- especially nos ones- fetch good money, while this one went cheap:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cortina-Mk3-Gt-Not-Gxl-Boot-Chrome-Trim-/223933098557?hash=item342373ea3d%3Ag%3AGpEAAOSw49BeXBC0&LH_ItemCondition=4&nma=true&si=Vggeudru59yoTZTNK11xO6dA4Ec%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

as it´s just a plain chrome strip, maybe you can make some yourself till you find genuine ones??

yeah something i can look into. ill check the holes on the boot and see if they match the xl strip ive got so could fit that in the mean time (assuming my boot is original)

I am wanting to keep the car close to original but willing to make changes here or there. engine doesnt match so it could never be a perfect car. also has a sunroof which i intend to keep.

also just saw your question about 2 doors here. not sure on numbers, someone the other day said they know of 15. this is 1 of 4 that has come up for sale in the last 10 years.

Really appreciate the info

The boot trim on a GT was just a single chrome strip at the top and one at the bottom with the boot metal going from light to light painted matt black.

I don't know who this car belongs to.

thumbnail_IMG_0310%5B1%5D.jpg

Edited by Beeper

Yep the pressed aluminium panel is usually on XL,GXL,E.

As pic above GT has a thin chrome trim top & bottom with boot lid in satin black.

Will see if I can find my NZ brochure but the above spec seems to be for all other markets so would presume NZ is the same.

1 hour ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

Yep the pressed aluminium panel is usually on XL,GXL,E.

As pic above GT has a thin chrome trim top & bottom with boot lid in satin black.

Will see if I can find my NZ brochure but the above spec seems to be for all other markets so would presume NZ is the same.

this car is uk built so certainly would assume it would come as above. 

always learning more about this cars, appreciate all the help.

on another note does anyone know what the trim code AA is, its not on the mk3 decoder

Black vinyl.

If you pm/email me a pic of you play I can give you a run down.

Same brochure as for UK.

appreciate that. the more i look at the GT rear the more i like it, will have to try sort something out

For the trim you can use this stuff , seen it on a car a few years ago. Looked realy good, as its the same shape as the original :thumbsup:

I would think if you use a stright edge / masking tape when putting it on, should come out stright

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Durable-3m-Silver-Car-Chrome-Styling-Decoration-Moulding-Trim-Strip-Tape-6mm/192423019843?hash=item2ccd4e4543:g:0fEAAOSwiv5bdrMw

image.png.353fc9b02c87ee31250e1d80d9f7b9bf.png

Edited by TIB3300

at that price its certainly worth giving it a go.

anyone know the width of the original trim?

leave it with me , I have a friend :thumbsup:

Welcome 

I’ve got the boot bits up in my garage loft from my gt Ill get a pic for you when I get home , don’t see many 2dr pfl gt over here 

Some one used the stuff from Halfords 

a few years ago looked good 

think it might of been littlenewt on his yellow 4dr he did have a look through members cars 

Edited by J2S