johnny boy

Export Spec MK1 Cortina

Cant say for 100% sure but the one on my export estate was black and I have had it powdercoated - it was the same as the crossmember on my car - Steve.

Not all export cars had reinforcements, (heavy duty) shells, for example here in sweden they did not.

Norway had it on the pre facelift ones, facelift cars had no hd shell but the casted TCA's and sump guard that got binned at first oilchange.

Norway Mk2's also had HD shells in most cases, in sweden only  the -66 built Mk2 was HD. Most HD mk2's both here and in Norway was not built in Dagenham they had the CN code in the VIN for Netherland production.

Yes it is good knowledge as it is made from my own observations over many years around cars I have owned myself and cars I have seen with my own eyes in Sweden, Finland, Norway, various other european countries and UK. Not any hear say, rumors or myths.

And alot of nerding around decoding VIN plates.

:cool:

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, mr Costin said:

Yes it is good knowledge as it is made from my own observations over many years around cars I have owned myself and cars I have seen with my own eyes in Sweden, Finland, Norway, various other european countries and UK. Not any hear say, rumors or myths.

And alot of nerding around decoding VIN plates.

:cool:

Does your knowledge extend to knowing what colour the sump guard was from the factory, I still don't know , and I'd like to repaint it in the original colour, which maybe the colour it is now , but just want conformation.

I should be getting the Mk1 back from the paint man soon, then I'll be refitting it up .🤔

I have mentioned this before on here, my 1966 RHD 1500 Super that I owned 40 years ago, had a number of components not usually found on UK cars.

Front crossmember with bump stops and brackets for a sump guard, but no sump guard.

Forged track control arms

Rear springs with extra leaves

Steering lock

Laminated screen

It didn’t have the strengthening struts between the strut tops and bulkhead.

I was the third owner, and there was nothing in the paperwork to suggest that it was a Police spec car.

Australian-made Mk1 Cortinas  also had the diagonal braces going from struts to bulkhead. Probably the rest of the heavy duty chassis features too, though I don't think the tank or sump guards were normally fitted.

Edited by SusanButcher

1 hour ago, SusanButcher said:

Australian-made Mk1 Cortinas  also had the diagonal braces going from struts to bulkhead. Probably the rest of the heavy duty chassis features too, though I don't think the tank or sump guards were normally fitted.

Thanks, I previously didn't know the Finnish one's came with sump guard's, so when I saw one for sale, I had to have it 🤔

I like the idea of having standard factory fitted parts 😊

Although my MK1 Cortina is far from standard 😜

Edited by johnny boy

7 minutes ago, SusanButcher said:

Thanks, I previously didn't know the Finnish one's came with sump guard's, so when I saw one for sale, I had to have it 🤔

I like the idea of having standard factory fitted parts 😊

Although my MK2 Cortina is far from standard 😜

On 10/7/2021 at 10:41 AM, johnny boy said:

Does your knowledge extend to knowing what colour the sump guard was from the factory, I still don't know , and I'd like to repaint it in the original colour, which maybe the colour it is now , but just want conformation.

I should be getting the Mk1 back from the paint man soon, then I'll be refitting it up .🤔

No not really, they were not fitted to Swedish cars and the ones I have seen mainly have been covered in surface rust. But if I am allowed to guess I should say black like all the other stuff fitted to the under side of the body.

• Like 1

On 10/7/2021 at 9:41 AM, johnny boy said:

they were definately black as shown here , well on MK2s anyway

258867037_5137682692926199_517652736257192774_n.jpg

Edited by the-ford-cortina.com

On 8/25/2021 at 9:15 PM, mr Costin said:

Not all export cars had reinforcements, (heavy duty) shells, for example here in sweden they did not.

Norway had it on the pre facelift ones, facelift cars had no hd shell but the casted TCA's and sump guard that got binned at first oilchange.

Norway Mk2's also had HD shells in most cases, in sweden only  the -66 built Mk2 was HD. Most HD mk2's both here and in Norway was not built in Dagenham they had the CN code in the VIN for Netherland production.

Maltese cars were no HD shells either - though they did have servos and after the first year the " safety " steering wheel

On 7/1/2021 at 3:30 PM, johnny boy said:

Here's a pic of the stone guard.

Anyone got any ideas to the original colour, is this original colour, or were they black , or silver , any gurus know the answer 🤔

IMG_20210701_151620_630.jpg

IMG_20210701_151656_944.jpg

to contradict my other post that looks like original factory primer and as they didnt bother painting underneath the cars it could be correct - dont leave it unpainted though or it will rot away in a couple of years if you do.

47 minutes ago, the-ford-cortina.com said:

to contradict my other post that looks like original factory primer and as they didnt bother painting underneath the cars it could be correct - dont leave it unpainted though or it will rot away in a couple of years if you do.

Thanks for your input, I agree, the more I look at it the more I think it's the original colour.

No trace of any other colours on top , or underneath the karki paint,other than some white over spray.

On another note , I'm not 100% sure I can use it , because mine has a fabricated crossmember, not an original factory one , which the sump guard bolts up to.🙄