MikeC

front struts question

Do I remember correctly that Volvo 340 strut inserts fit the mk 2 GT/E front struts?.

Volvo 240 strut inserts are 20mm shorter in body length than standard mk1 Cortina/Corsair inserts. No idea on the 340

On 5/9/2020 at 10:31 AM, kenbex522 said:

Volvo 240 strut inserts are 20mm shorter in body length than standard mk1 Cortina/Corsair inserts. No idea on the 340

yep Corsair ones are the same as MK1GT AND you have to fill the "gap" on the bottom of the strut tube. i think there was a topic about it on here somewhere.

Edited by consul315

Another question about Cortina and Corsair strut parts. The original piston rod assembly used in the 1963-65 Corsair struts is Ford part number E358-DB-1. Is that part found on any of the early Cortinas?

Thank you Consul, you are a mine of information. So the original Corsair piston rod is the same as the Cortina up to 1965. I will need to get my struts rebuilt eventually, and the rods are scored of course. Not much chance of finding Motorcraft GT strut inserts!

I thinkt Anglias have the same size of shocks too. I have been using Volvo 240 shock absorbers for my Cortinas Mk1 and Anglia. You have to put 19 mm inserts in the botton of the strut, under the Volvo 240 absorber.

The upper rod will fit in the original bearing. But as the time goes by those upper bearings vulganization are quite often broken and the whole bearing metal ring is started to go up ½ inch and that´s not so good.

Again the Volvo 240 upper shock absorbers bearing system is usable, the only modyfiction is to knock away the original bolts and drill new hols in right places and weld three nuts under the newdrilled holes. Even the Cortina MK1/Corsair/Anglia original plastic protective cup on the top fits as it should belong there. In the Cortina MK1 nobody will not even see that it isn´t original upper bearing.

But in the Anglia and Corsair the upper bearings have a different layout and the Anglias bearings are better than the Cortinas. Corsair I don`t yet know because I havent picked up the one that is reserved for me yet...

If you use Volvo shocks, check that the rod are close to the original diameter at the top. I have been using the Volvo 240 shocks with a great success in bought Cortina and Anglia, even in the race cars I have.

To find original Motocraft shocks could be on Ebay or something like that.

As far as I can tell, the upper mounting assembly on the Corsair 1500 is the same as the early Cortina. (The mounting is 113E-5425-B, the ball race parts are E37-DB-1 and E38-DB-1.) The Corsair V4 etc might be different. The mountings on my car are still OK, fortunately, and the struts operate properly, the problem is a slow leak of fluid from the top gland seal. I've got new seals ready to go in, but it seems pointless to spend a lot of money on a rebuild if the piston rods are scored. Hence the question about Cortina piston rods.

(Weird how they show the mounting upside down on the Corsair 1500 parts list! I guess the drawing is of the Classic strut with the numbers changed.)

Edited by SusanButcher

Hi! All MK1 Cortinas have the same upper mounting assembly but  MK2 have two different models. I´m not sure on the Corsairs but i have opportunity to check it (when the snow has disappeared). The one that will be mine is a 1500 ("swedish GT", a sort of ½GT that was sold in Sweden) and there is a 2,0 V4 too in same family. But Corsair were/are very unusul here because they were never sold as new here. The few have all been imported later when people had moved back from abroad.

Do you have "none inserts" shocks or which ones? But you have right about that piston rods condition. In our Mk3 Zephyr 6 one side of the front shocks is leaking too but I am so lazy (or have to many old Fords to keep on running) that I had lifted up that side so the wheel is in the air, then opened the 7 mm bolt in the Mcpherson leg, refilled it with more oil as much as fits. Then I have been driving it as long as it feels good to drive and don´t bounds around after the bumps.

I have to fill it 1-3 times per summer, from late april to late september, in about 1500 -3000 km (900 - 2300 miles)

I saw som picture of your car in this forum, is it a left hand drive car?

have you already got a quote for reconditioning. depending on how much it is, i could have a look around over here as well, though i fear postage (and customs) from Austria to Australia will be a fortune!

On 1/15/2022 at 9:27 AM, Speedgroup said:

Do you have "none inserts" shocks or which ones? But you have right about that piston rods condition. In our Mk3 Zephyr 6 one side of the front shocks is leaking too but I am so lazy (or have to many old Fords to keep on running) that I had lifted up that side so the wheel is in the air, then opened the 7 mm bolt in the Mcpherson leg, refilled it with more oil as much as fits. Then I have been driving it as long as it feels good to drive and don´t bounds around after the bumps.

I have to fill it 1-3 times per summer, from late april to late september, in about 1500 -3000 km (900 - 2300 miles)

I saw som picture of your car in this forum, is it a left hand drive car?

Hi Speedgroup, my Corsair GT is left hand drive, it's the Italian version of the car. It has a kilometer speedometer, side repeaters, and originally had clear front indicator lenses and headlights with replaceable  lamps. Though I don't know the name of the first owner,  it was exported to Novara and sold there in 1964.

The struts on the car have the original parts inside, not gas inserts. Same as you, I just refill them once in a while because  there's no problem with the damping or steering. We don't have regular MOT tests in Victoria, but if I had to have the car tested for some reason it's a potential fail point.

On 1/18/2022 at 9:03 PM, consul315 said:

have you already got a quote for reconditioning. depending on how much it is, i could have a look around over here as well, though i fear postage (and customs) from Austria to Australia will be a fortune!

Do you mean a quote for repair of the rods? I do know that good chrome plating is very expensive. Please have a look through your spares anyway. The other alternative is to buy some Cortina struts locally, but none have turned up near me.

Hi Susan! Interesting to hear,when was it exported to Australia?

If it not leaks much I wouldn´t do anything yet, but if you want it perfekt is it an other question. In Finland we have MOT inspektions every year for car more than 10years old and over 40 year every second.

But if it´s leaking it isn´t failed here, only when the differens between the same axle dampers are more than 40 % or one of them under 10-30% (depends on which test machine).

What is a " side repeater "? I didn´t found any translation for it...

Do you too have "sealed beem" headlights? That´s not so common in Europe, but in USA.