Sign in to follow this  
Billm

1968 Cortina Mk2 1600GT mint

Hi, a friend of mine saw this mint MK2 Cortina 1600GT recently on his travels 

It looks like it's had an excellent restoration. He spoke with the owner and the car is for sale.

At this time I don't have any further info, mileage etc other than the photos 

Does it look like a genuine 1600GT ? I haven't got the VIN details but if you advise what to look for I might be able to get it

The car is located overseas so I would have to get it back here.

Can anyone advise how much it would be worth if I sold it here, UK registered with an MOT

thanks

39dc19d3130545e89e484f8aa9aa62ab__1589440774_56355.png.499ec03a831ce99057e0e86d21665bdb.png

apologies for posting links to larger photos but I could only post a thumbnail directly

https://postimg.cc/FdZXv46w

https://postimg.cc/f3GtS6MH

https://postimg.cc/w7qVBsf1

https://postimg.cc/mzW3Wc12

https://postimg.cc/0MGYk87G

https://postimg.cc/cg5s837d

Edited by Billm
  • Thanks 1

Hi mate - certainly looks like a clean car with some export specs but if you want to know for sure , you have to get the vin number . There are a couple of anomalies but they could be just replacement parts .As to values , piece of string - you cant say from photos .Steve.

Hi, thanks.

I think it's a genuine 1600GT and my mate said the seller seemed genuine and it was in really good condition. I think the sellers got to that age where he doesn't use it and it's time to sell up.

But yes, the VIN will tell. Is there any specific VIN code for a 1600GT export model I can look for ?

I don't mind keeping it for a few months and using it but storage is always an issue with classics. I'd have to hunt around for somewhere and it could be at risk if not stored at mine which at the moment isn't possible.

Plus I don't want to go to the trouble, and expense, of getting it over here and then being landed with it or even loosing money.

I've not been involved with Cortinas since my mate had a 1600GT MK2 way back in 1974 !!

What sort of ball park figures are 1600GT's making these days in this condition?

£10k,    £15k ?

any ideas would be a huge help

thanks

Around £7000 to £10000 car, if had been a 1600e would be closer to the £15000, but 60's fords not making the money they did a few years ago.

i think 10k plus car innerwings look perfect try replace it,looks a stunner seen 1300 deluxe on ebay 10k and it sold good colour to my advise stick on ebay with classfied ad and it will sell,good ones always do,

hard to tell from pics, but as Steve already said, there are a  " couple of anomalies ", so maybe worth checking very carefully before you buy it.

at first glance i would have said it´s a Series 2 Super with some S1 GT bits added on :sofa1:

but plz don t get me wrong, it defo looks a very nice car and could be well worth buying it!

thanks for the comments guys

if I can get the VIN details what code(s) should I look for to confirm its a genuine 1600GT ?

Has anyone got a link how to decode the VIN plate ?

It could easily be trying to be something it's not which will affect the resale value 

Lovely car, top restoration. I say it's a Super with GT parts, be interesting to see if it has radius arms on the back axle. VIN code for 4 door super is BA95 and for a 4 door GT/E it's BA97, assuming Dagenham built. Checking the VIN is not conclusive as very easy to swap. I agree with Batty's valuation as all Classics will take (and are) a drop in value due to Covid 19 recession. 

i think there are vin decoders somewhere on here or on the net, but you can pm me the vin details and i can check for you, if wanted. as said there are many things that don t look correct, but most obvious to me is the small airpan (looks like there is only a single carb "underneath, but maybe not as well-it´s hard to tell without having seen the car).

perhaps you can  check (see through the alloys), if it has the bigger 9inch rear brakes ("flat" drum) and there would be a lot more to check to be sure.

Just been looking and the trims on the back look like they are stick on - they shouldn't be there anyway but could be damage to paint / bodywork underneath .  

1 hour ago, DHV571D said:

Lovely car, top restoration. I say it's a Super with GT parts, be interesting to see if it has radius arms on the back axle. VIN code for 4 door super is BA95 and for a 4 door GT/E it's BA97, assuming Dagenham built. Checking the VIN is not conclusive as very easy to swap. I agree with Batty's valuation as all Classics will take (and are) a drop in value due to Covid 19 recession. 

Thanks I'll ask for the VIN and photos of the axle and brakes, see what it actually is.

Yes the knock on of CV-19 is a worry. Will hard up owners have to sell to fund the mortgage or pay for the daily car bought on finance, especially if it's sat in the garage not being used much. Or are classic car owners more likely to be older with few if any debts ?

If cars are forced on the market the heady prices of the last few years may start coming down if there are fewer buyers around. After all a cars only worth what someone will pay, not what it's advertised for.

I wouldn't want to buy in a falling market, that's akin to catching a falling knife !  Especially if looking to make some $$ on it.

On 5/15/2020 at 12:13 PM, Billm said:

Thanks I'll ask for the VIN and photos of the axle and brakes, see what it actually is.

Yes the knock on of CV-19 is a worry. Will hard up owners have to sell to fund the mortgage or pay for the daily car bought on finance, especially if it's sat in the garage not being used much. Or are classic car owners more likely to be older with few if any debts ?

If cars are forced on the market the heady prices of the last few years may start coming down if there are fewer buyers around. After all a cars only worth what someone will pay, not what it's advertised for.

I wouldn't want to buy in a falling market, that's akin to catching a falling knife !  Especially if looking to make some $$ on it.

Hi Bill ...sent you a PM ...best wishes Taz 

22 hours ago, Taz said:

Hi Bill ...sent you a PM ...best wishes Taz 

thanks Taz, I have replied

I don,t think this is a super  as didn,t the super have a floor mounted handbrake ?     with GT and E   having dash mounted handbrake .

regards

Dave

When she is in the UK Bill can you let me know ...best wishes Taz