Sign in to follow this  
Steve Walton

Just listed on the Bay

Steve I'm just glad you've chosen to put that rare new old stock item on Ebay and not on your car :laugh:.  My concern is the fact that you have this item in your possession in the first place suggests that at one point you had considered fitting it to your car :shocking:.  My view is that the only place this sort of bolt on plastic tat looks good is in landfill or under the wheels of a large truck.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, RT 1006 said:

Steve I'm just glad you've chosen to put that rare new old stock item on Ebay and not on your car :laugh:.  My concern is the fact that you have this item in your possession in the first place suggests that at one point you had considered fitting it to your car :shocking:.  My view is that the only place this sort of bolt on plastic tat looks good is in landfill or under the wheels of a large truck.

Ah well Kevin the story is I saw it for sale on Gumtree on Tuesday this week and I thought Mmmm a man could make a few bob on turning this over, I am part Scottish in the very distant past. I won't disclose the price I paid but I have turned down an offer of £100 within an hour of listing it. I never had any intention putting it on my MK5 but it would look great on your MK4.

I agree with Kevin, these look dreadful, can’t blame you for making a few quid it is astonishing how people pay big money for tat! I bought a Cortina with one on in 1994 and took it off straight away, sold it for £10, I also sold a rear Louvre off the same car for £10 it is unbelievable what these sell for now, I was happy to make a few quid and improve the appearance of my car at the same time. I bought the car from Scotland, both cars I collected from Scotland were covered in tat, I am glad yours are not the same Kevin😉

My car wears a louvre on the rear screen, it shades the back seat noticeably and as I often have my dogs in the back I'd say it does a job, some might call it tat though......I love it.

Would be a funny world if we all liked the same thing?:wink:

• Like 1

Fair comment, if it does a good job it is a useful addition. I like your car and dogs🙂. You are correct it would be boring if we were all the same, I hope I did not cause any offence.

12 minutes ago, V6Ghia said:

Fair comment, if it does a good job it is a useful addition. I like your car and dogs🙂. You are correct it would be boring if we were all the same, I hope I did not cause any offence.

None taken. :wink:

Don't mind the Louvre I've got a MK3 one but always hated those grilles (dunno why) one came with my crayford but never got fitted sold it.

5 hours ago, V6Ghia said:

I agree with Kevin, these look dreadful, can’t blame you for making a few quid it is astonishing how people pay big money for tat! I bought a Cortina with one on in 1994 and took it off straight away, sold it for £10, I also sold a rear Louvre off the same car for £10 it is unbelievable what these sell for now, I was happy to make a few quid and improve the appearance of my car at the same time. I bought the car from Scotland, both cars I collected from Scotland were covered in tat, I am glad yours are not the same Kevin😉

Think I've told you the story about my car having been a bit of a tat magnet before I got it Bret and the weeks I spent getting rid of spoilers, stripes and other silly decals.  I'm just glad it had a factory fitted sun roof otherwise I recon it would have undoubtedly fallen victim to one of those 1980's DIY glass panel jobs.  The bloke I bought it off had also fitted (very badly) a modern Sony radio/CD player with a couple of wires coming out the back and heading in the direction of the rear window.  Fortunately those wires had only got as far as going under the front seats otherwise I'd have been on the lookout for a replacement parcel shelf. That CD player was one of the first things to go in the bin and replaced with an original FM push button unit.

46 minutes ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

Don't mind the Louvre I've got a MK3 one but always hated those grilles (dunno why) one came with my crayford but never got fitted sold it.

To me they just don't look right.  My uncle fitted one to has brand new 2.0 Ghia in 1980 and I remember thinking back then that it did absolutely nothing to enhance the look of the car. 

I love them myself very period 

Halfords special parts or side street car shops ,pin stripes aerials spotlights 

center consoles Turtle air fresheners

traffic lights to !!

You could park up and plenty would take notice of your car because loads was doing it !!

now a stock beige L  that’s another story 

• Like 1

At the time, the Hella grille with driving lights was not a cheap bit of tat, it was  a quality upgrade, by the way, if any one wants to give me a £100.00 for mine, then I will not be offended!!!

• Like 1