Sign in to follow this  
canadian_Mk3

Fuel gauge reads backwards?

Mk3 pre facelift, L spec. At one time I had re-wired the car for a GT spec cluster, but I couldnt source the console for the center gauges, and recently swapped back to the L spec cluster. Everything works as it should, except the fuel gauge. It seems to work backwards.

Its my understanding the sender reads 73 ohms empty, and 10 ohms full? It didnt have much fuel in it, gauge was reading 3/4 full, when I measured the resistance from the blue/black wire to ground, It read 59 ohms. Just today I put another 12 liters in it, and the gauge went down to read 1/2 full.

I have the blue/black wire from the level sending unit, if I follow the PCB on the back of the cluster, goes straight to the back of the fuel gauge, the other side of the fuel gauge comes from the voltage stabilizer box. Ive swapped it with another voltage stabilizer box with no difference. Ive also cleaned all the connections with no difference.

Where can I look next?

Cheers!

Presume it's not fitted upside down in tank?

Did the manual arrive ok?

Havent seen the manual yet but I havent been to the mailbox today either. 

Its possible, but I seem to remember it working normally before, and with my reading of 59 ohms at about 1/4 tank of fuel (3/4 on the gauge) suggests that it isnt upside down? But that could be my next thing to check...