Peter H

Mk5 Auto Crossmember Wanted

As per title, have fitted my automatic (C3) box using the crossmember that was fitted when I had the type 9 manual in (not Cortina, maybe Capri). Is sitting too low and the engine is tilted back a bit. Could do with a proper Cortina crossmember before I go down the route of making a spacer.. Cheers

Think I've on left let me check tomorrow.

Call off the search, one popped up on ebay and I couldn't not jump on it (I realise how scarce they are). have attached a photo of the ebay one, let me know if it looks wrong.

Thanks for responding.

s-l1600.jpg

Good find

On 7/10/2020 at 12:02 AM, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

Think I've on left let me check tomorrow.

Don't you just love Ebay, turns out this 'Cortina' crossmember is Mk3 Granada. Craig, if you could have a look and see if you have a Cortina Auto one i'd appreciate it.

Regards

Peter

Actually no I look at it yes it is.

Typical that as soon as I need to look for sumat I don't get five mins I'll try tomorrow.

Sorry looked everywhere must have sold t so none left.

Appreciate you checking, i'll keep searching.

Cheers

Hi Pete H,

Attached are 2 photo's of the gearbox x member as fitted to my MK5 with 4 speed auto. It is the same x member that was on my C3 box. I dont think it is an Auto Box x member as the outer holes had been enlarged? It worked OK with the C3 and the 4 Speed Auto.

I am not sure what the xmember is off but it is Ford. I have an old x member in the garage, I will dig it out and send you a picture.

Cheers

Steve

Exh Mod 3.JPG

Install 3.JPG

Edited by Steve Walton

that looks like a mk3 Capri with spacer plates for the 4 speed Auto box

Hi Pete H,

Havn't had time to look for the x member in my garage but I have found this on ebay. Drop the seller an email and see if he will sell you the x member. I doubt he will find a buyer for the box, not a great demand for them.

Cheers

Steve

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Cortina-C3-Classic-Automatic-Gearbox/203047668516

That looks like auto one Capri is 40-50 mm wider per side.

Your crossmember certainly looks like a Cortina auto one. Fords continuous development policy at the time probably means there are a dozen versions of the same part! I'd already messaged this seller to see if he'd sell the crossmember but he won't so I've made an offer for the whole thing, I fancy a road trip anyway, been stuck in Newcastle way too long. The crossmember I have appears to be a sierra one with enlarged holes and an aluminium spacer. The propshaft line was never quite right when I was running the type 9 and is even more pronounced with the C3 fitted. Hoping I can have this sorted by next week as it's holding up work.

Regards

Peter

The one higher up is MK3 Granada. Sierra has a big dip in it.