cgclassics

Wanted Mk2 Cortina Series 1 Smaller Front Windscreen

Looking for a good condition Mk2 Cortina Front Windscreen the earlier smaller one 575mm measured width in the centre.

Alternatively if anyone has one of the genuine Series 2 windscreen seals for the 580mm later screen that would work.  I have a later screen but have tried one of these universal seals that apparently work with both types of screen and TBH they are rubbish.

I am in the Salisbury/Southampton/New Forest Area, happy to travel a reasonable distance.

I'll too will be watching for any useful responses. Last week I tried fitting a 580 mm screen to a series 1 shell with the new seal that came with the project car but no joy in fact anything but. I now have a line on a smaller screen so hopefully that will work with the seal I have.

John

51 minutes ago, jparsons said:

I'll too will be watching for any useful responses. Last week I tried fitting a 580 mm screen to a series 1 shell with the new seal that came with the project car but no joy in fact anything but. I now have a line on a smaller screen so hopefully that will work with the seal I have.

John

Hi John - here's what I found out.  The seal that some sell on Ebay as a combined Series 1 and Series 2 seal just doesn't work with a Series 2 580mm screen despite what is claimed = 1600E OC confirmed this as well.  I tried fitting mine with a 580mm screen, and Paul Ralhan of Glasstec (the guy who does a lot of stuff on Pistonheads) also tried and couldn't get the screen in - it is just wrong.  Speaking to the various owners clubs, it seems the solution is to find a Series 1 screen or buy a new one from Pilkington (they have the Series 1 screens in stock which are 576mm tall).  In short it seems that if you have the 580mm screen it is very unlikely you will be able to fit a new seal to it.  COH Baines over here used to list two seals , early and late - but now they just have one seal which works on the early screens.  Unfortunately unless you can find a good secondhand series 1 screen without scratches, there is a solution but it is expensive. 

I checked the Pilkington listings the other day and thought that they only had one Mk2 glass but now I see that I missed a second entry. The first, 3526, is listed for '66-'70 so I figured it was the tall glass that that like everyone else they offered a "universal" solution but now I see the second listing, 3523 for '69 only. Am I correct in assuming that P/N 3526 is the shorter screen? That's great news if new are available.

Yes - the info I have is that the 3523 is the early screen and is in stock at least here in the UK.  It is listed for 1967-68 cars in the catalogue here as follows:

3523 FORD CORTINA MKII 67-68 top-to-bottom 576mm against 1371 widest (in stock) OE part no: 3014E7303102E

C

Thanks! That is much more detailed information than I can get from the website.

John

Is this a possible solution? A guy on Dodgecharger.com sanded 1/16" off his rear quarter glass starting with 60grit and working up to a 180.

Could be worth trying before buying a Series 1 screen.

55285100-E6-AD-4-DC9-BE69-EB2-C479-C0-D59.jpg

Should be doable, but if it goes wrong, glass isn't very forgiving!!! Have polished many a wiper score mark out of screens, so it's a similar process, but then on other cars I have tried all the tricks under the sun to stop them cracking, I haven't found one method that is successful!!! I'd do it by hand, less aggressive.

1 hour ago, GhiaMk4/5 said:

Should be doable, but if it goes wrong, glass isn't very forgiving!!! Have polished many a wiper score mark out of screens, so it's a similar process, but then on other cars I have tried all the tricks under the sun to stop them cracking, I haven't found one method that is successful!!! I'd do it by hand, less aggressive.

I was thinking if you can't use the S2 screen anyway there isn't much to lose! I think I'll be giving it a go on mine.

I've cut a laminated screen using a diamond wheel cutter before, but my understanding was that toughened glass was much harder.  Never tried is myself, but would be interested to hear if it works out of curiosity.  I've decided to get a new laminated Series 1 screen but accept it is an expensive solution if an existing one can be cut down instead.  Might be a question for the custom car boys.