GXL

A4LDe automatic 4speed gearbox complete with flexplate and propshaft

Hi Everyone 

I bought in error a A4LDe gearbox with all the ancillaries and propshaft to upgrade my C3 autobox.

from reading the info on this site it is not suitable as the shaft does not line up correctly.

it comes from a low mileage 1989 G reg Sierra saloon which I drove myself prior to it’s removal so I know it works fine.

So I need to move onto someone with a twin cam pinto that can make use of it. So I thought I would put it up here first. I need 

£250 For it collection only from J22 of the M5 in Somerset.

regards

Sean 

Hi,

Why do you think  the A4 box not suitable?  " not suitable as the shaft does not line up correctly" Which shaft does not line up?

I have an A4ld in a MK5

Edited by Steve Walton

Hi Steve

do I just need to get an earlier flex plate from an earlier 83-85 Sierra?

Did the Sierra you got the box from have a Pinto or a DOHC [Twin Cam] engine?

If it was a DOHC then the flex plate will be no good.  If it was a Pinto then all of the bits should swap over.

The DOHC crankshaft bolt spacing is slightly different to a Pinto Crank, hence the DOHC Flex Plate will not fit a Pinto crank.

I have the part number for the correct flex plate, I will have a look for it.

You woud need a DOHC starter motor.

My box came with a Pinto Bell Housing, I think the DOHC Bell Housing is the same as a Pinto one.

Is the box an A4LDe? You would need a box of electric trickery to get the box to work i.e Torque convertor to lock up.

Steve

Edited by Steve Walton

Yep only crank bolt pattern differs between them.

Hi GXL,

It might pay you to have a look at my Thread from when I put the A4ld box I my MK5. You will find the part number in the thread for the Flex plate that you need.

You could try this ebay seller for a Pinto A4ld Flex Plate, I bought my box from him and he was very helpful and was able to supply me with a flex plate.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FORD-AUTOMATIC-GEARBOX-A4LD-REAR-MOUNT-X-MEMBER-SIERRA-GRANADA/164297693888?hash=item2640e7dac0:g:7TgAAOSw8FlfFLc7

Edited by Steve Walton

Thanks Steve

I have read your article many times before which gave the confidence to get the four speed box. Last Thursday I spoke to a chap at Romford Automatic Transmissions who told me my A4LDe wouldn’t line up. Maybe we misunderstood each other because mine definitely came out of a pinto SOHC Sierra.

It does have the electrickery extras.

A83C4A3C-6B86-4E67-8AB0-8FFBC18C765D.jpeg

If it came out a Pinto Engined Sierra then the Flex Plate should fit.

Good to see the box has the external 10mm oil cooler pipes to allow you to fit an after market cooler.

What are you doing with the electrics?

Did you get the starter motor with the box?

Edited by Steve Walton

I already have the uprated 1.4kw starter motor In my car and assumed It would be suitable.

I have no idea what to do with all the electrics! 😳

plus I guess I will have to have new fixing points and bridge plates

Have a look at the nearside of the rear of the output housing and see if there are 2 fittings for a speedo cable. It looks like it has a speedo cable. Which could be a good thing. There might be an electric solenoid which is a speed sensor.

If you can take a photo of the nearside of the box and post it on here I might be able to help you further.

Did you get the Torque Convertor with the box?

I will dig out the extras that came with it and post a pic of the other side later this morning.

We should start a new thread in the engine section 

2A6BC1C3-CAF2-41C7-853A-2740C63B15D5.jpeg

HI,

Yes this should be in the Engine / Transmission Section.

The electric conection to the right is the inhibitor switch, same as your C3 will plug straight in to your car.

The lower solenoid with the long horizontal wire is the electric kick down.This can be changed to manual by a cable operated by the throttle cable. Or a switch on the throttle cable / rod as it is just an on / off solenoid

The white plug on the side of the box is the electric connection to the Valve Block. The electric plug controls the Lock up Torque Convertor. This connection is controlled by a speed sensor on the tailshaft housing and a a box of electricery !!

I have an Auto Box guy. I will ask him if the box will work without the white plug wired up.

It will but I think you don't get od/lock up so it's back to 3 speeds.

Hi GXL,

I have spoken to my Auto Box Guy.

Have a look in the top of the White plug if there are 2 pins you are in business, if there are 3 pins you have a problem Houston.

The Gear box has 4 speeds. In your 1st photo there are 2 "Servos" to the left of the oil cooler pipes, where as a C3 box only has 1 "Servo" The lock up Torque Convertor operates like an overdrive. He said the box will work OK with 4 speeds available but the lock up wont work, unless I think you an put it on a Switch.

Do you still have access to the car the box came out of ? If you do see if you can get the Kick Down Switch off the Throttle Assembly.

As a guide my MK5 runs at approx 3000 rpm at 70mph.

Steve

Edited by Steve Walton