GXL

A4LDe automatic 4speed gearbox complete with flexplate and propshaft

Two pins!

image.jpg

Getting There. Did you get the Torque Convertor, Flex Plate and Sandwich [ Dust] Plate?

Hi Steve

Sorry for the delay it took me a while to search out where I have carefully stored them last year. Here’s the ancillaries 

D7BB664C-F896-462C-A9B3-2AEC831CDBCD.jpeg

590D4343-4BA8-46B0-941A-C9EE5F42B846.jpeg

F83E5177-D3B2-47CF-8727-6109BBFC5C99.jpeg

Looks like you have got a lot of electrics there. I don't see the flex plate or a torque converter. Is it in the bell housing? 🤔 

Edited by Steve Walton

Yes they are still in bell housing.

Is there anything specific I should be looking for

C5DDBFE0-07C3-4266-9C21-D258F03A79A4.jpeg

Hi Steve

does the plate look suitable?

Flex Plate looks to be the right one. There is a part number on it. Have a look through my thread the part number of my flex plate is in there. It will also have "Motor Side" on it which is the side that goes towards the block. It looks to be the right way round in the photo.

Also does the starter in the pictures fit the hole in the sandwich plate? My starter has a smaller locating ring as the A4ld satrter is different to a C3 starter.

You need to fasten the Flex Plate and torque Convertor in to the bell housing to prevent the Torque Convertor coming out of the front of the gearbox as it will damage the oil seal in the gear box oil pump. Cable ties will do around the bolts that are in the edges of the bell housing.

Edited by Steve Walton

The starter motor came from the same donor vehicle so definitely fits the sandwich plate.

More good news my flexplate is the same as yours 😁 The same Ford number.

Quote from your good self ‘It needs to be out of either a Sierra or Granada with a Pinto Engine and of course an A4LD Auto Box. The part number to look for is 86GT 6K 375 BA. ‘

BBC10044-B82A-4AB4-9CEA-C541C2B5D8C0.jpeg

Whats your next move? You have all the mechanicla bits. Are you moving or altering the gearbox mounts in the trans tunnel?

The car is unrestored and I want it to stay as original as possible. The only upgrades have been subtle as and when the original parts wore out such as electronic ignition or modern shocks.

I think the least intrusive way to fit the new box is the method you employed of new fixing points and bridging plates.

For the past three years I have wanted to refresh the whole underneath with a new steering rack, undercoat, new rubber all round and address any other unknown issues like fatigued metal. So it may make sense to do all of this underneath work including the new autobox in one big lay off. Especially during these Lockdown days I could devote two weeks holiday on it this autumn.

Would you be willing to share the dimensions of your fixing point fabrication and bridging plates please?

Hi,

You have a good plan to do it all at once. If you look at my thread you will see that I left the factory mounts in place but narowed them down as the A4 oil pan is to wide to fit between the mounts. Not a difficult job if you are handy with a MIG Welder. Of course I can give you the measurements of my plates etc. It might be a while as I need to get the car up off the floor.

I used the original C3 Shifter so that the car looks standard. The box shifts OK but the pointer on the shifter is slightly out of line with the PRND12 marks. If you go for the C3 shifter you will need a Tailshaft housing with 2 speedo fittings.

Cheers

Steve

On 7/28/2020 at 3:22 PM, GXL said:

The starter motor came from the same donor vehicle so definitely fits the sandwich plate.

More good news my flexplate is the same as yours 😁 The same Ford number.

Quote from your good self ‘It needs to be out of either a Sierra or Granada with a Pinto Engine and of course an A4LD Auto Box. The part number to look for is 86GT 6K 375 BA. ‘

BBC10044-B82A-4AB4-9CEA-C541C2B5D8C0.jpeg

cleaning up the autobox today and noticed a clock style motif ‘12,3,6,9’ and a number 87 on the flexplate. The donor Sierra was G reg so I’m guessing that might be the year the plate was made.

05E98080-7CFD-4846-8143-11D7E993F1C6.jpeg

BC2D052B-3163-4B2D-8563-E47CD0341453.jpeg

54 minutes ago, GXL said:

cleaning up the autobox today and noticed a clock style motif ‘12,3,6,9’ and a number 87 on the flexplate. The donor Sierra was G reg so I’m guessing that might be the year the plate was made.

05E98080-7CFD-4846-8143-11D7E993F1C6.jpeg

BC2D052B-3163-4B2D-8563-E47CD0341453.jpeg

Date of Manufacture at a Quess.

Yes quite possible as the 86 is the date the part was introduced.

Be careful that the Torque Convertor doesn't come out of the Bell Housing that won't be good. Put a few cable ties across the  Bell Housing to keep it in place.