MikeC

MK2 tyre size whats best

Ok I need to get the old girl rolling soon, I might as well get the tyres on the Rostyles I intend to use. What sizes do you guys run on a rostyle on mk2's. I am thinking of either 185/60 or 175/70 I want to give it a subtle rake to the front. On the front maybe just 165/70's so the steering is not to heavy for the misses.

I always found 175/70 a good compromise, improved the handling without making the steering too heavy

I've always tried to use 175/80 's they're the "tallest" section you can get (I believe) and don't affect the overall "gearing" https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tools/tyre-size-calculator :wine:

15 minutes ago, Tony Webster said:

I've always tried to use 175/80 's they're the "tallest" section you can get (I believe) and don't affect the overall "gearing" https://www.oponeo.co.uk/tools/tyre-size-calculator :wine:

I think I will go for 175's I don't really like this all rim and no tyres, especially around here as it it is pot hole heaven.:gun: 

19 minutes ago, Tony Webster said:

I think I will go for 175's I don't really like this all rim and no tyres, especially around here as it it is pot hole heaven.:gun: 

Don't know what happened there

Edited by MikeC

I'd stick with the original size all round. The Ford ride engineers would have matched up ride, handling and steering. Also you will have the advantage of the lighter steering, ability to move wheels around the car including the spare. 165 is plenty wide enough for the light MK2. I think the tyres were 165 x 13. Aspect ratios weren't quoted then but they would 80 or 82. But your choice at the end of the day. Like you are don't understand the current fashion for larger wheels and skinny tyres. They ruin ride, wear quicker, damage more easily along with wheel damage. Can't see the point unless you are on a race track. I have 185 x 13  70 on my MK3 but it is a heavier car I think but still light by today's standards. The MK3 also came with 165 as standard but 185 70 x13 were optional on the GT which mine is. I have had to increase the pressure to make the steering acceptable. I would have been OK with the 165's. Hope this helps but it is only one opinion

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 6:45 PM, waltermk3 said:

I'd stick with the original size all round. The Ford ride engineers would have matched up ride, handling and steering. Also you will have the advantage of the lighter steering, ability to move wheels around the car including the spare. 165 is plenty wide enough for the light MK2. I think the tyres were 165 x 13. Aspect ratios weren't quoted then but they would 80 or 82. But your choice at the end of the day. Like you are don't understand the current fashion for larger wheels and skinny tyres. They ruin ride, wear quicker, damage more easily along with wheel damage. Can't see the point unless you are on a race track. I have 185 x 13  70 on my MK3 but it is a heavier car I think but still light by today's standards. The MK3 also came with 165 as standard but 185 70 x13 were optional on the GT which mine is. I have had to increase the pressure to make the steering acceptable. I would have been OK with the 165's. Hope this helps but it is only one opinion

I don't think low profile tyres were available when the mk2 was designed

3 hours ago, Neil. said:

I don't think low profile tyres were available when the mk2 was designed

I think I will go 165/70 13 on the front and 175/70 13 on the back, It is not like it is going to be a daily driver now as some one would pinch it.:gun:

Not sure what advantage you would have by putting 175 on the rears with 165's on the front. I don't think you'd notice the difference and you would loose the flexibility of moving the wheels and spare around and in case of puncture

It'd probably make it more likely to understeer, less grippy at the front end.

I've had 165's, 175,s & 185's, I prefer the 175/70 out of all of them.

It's all down to personal preference, & if you are just using it for sedate sort of journeys then probably 165's would be best.

If you are going a bit faster, then 175's, I had a Savage Estate with 175's & it was the best handling Cortina I've had, although the rear suspension was modified from the standard estate.

Before that I had a 1600e which it had 165's on initially, & I went for 185's later, which made the steering too heavy at low speeds but once moving was ok.

Whatever size you go for I would definitely have the same size all round.

1 hour ago, waltermk3 said:

Whatever size you go for I would definitely have the same size all round.

Good point it's just the old hot rodder coming out in me, My challenger has 15's on the back and 14's on the front and I will and do chuck it around at times:angel_not:

165 80 13s  - you will thank me when you drive it 

6 hours ago, the-ford-cortina.com said:

165 80 13s  - you will thank me when you drive it 

This is why I asked as I am open to advice, As it may get driven enthusiastically. 

225 50 13s on the rear, 195 50 13 on the front, that combination and 3 litre Capri single leafs made my 1600E the most planted E on the road in the 80s, and of coarse, I was nuts, had 205 60 13s on  a twin cam and it drove awful, I  have a set of 4 Yokohamas in 225 50 13, for another Ford project, extremely hard to get hold of, it's horses for courses though, and it's easy enough to do the E mod to the front wings to get a bit more clearance, just don't buy Hi Fly's as they seem to do a fair few 13" tyres, they are SH*TE.

Edited by GhiaMk4/5
Spelling