Chriswitha1600e

Any body built a roll over spit?

Thinking of building one for my 1600e. I know you can buy them for not a lot of money but I don't like where they mount to the car ie- on the bumper iron mounts.

My shell is potentially a little weak in those areas and I would prefer those spots to be 'clear' for working on.

I'm thinking fixing to the engine cross member rubber mounts, leaving the cross member in place, and at the rear, using the big braces that go from the inner wheel housing to the rear scuttle panel.

The ready made ones would need extensive mods to do this, I would also like the hydraulic rams that I've seen on the adjustable ones, but these spits are a lot more money.

The thing I seem to be struggling with is what size box section, say, 60x60 would I need for that to slide snugly into the next size up so I could get the telescope effect.

ie- would 50x50x5 fit nice into 60x60x5?

Same with the spit pivot, I need strong tube to rotate snugly inside another tube.

Go to your local steel supplier, see what they have off the shelf, where l am there are a fair few steel stock holders that even in the current climate will let you have a look around and have a measure up.  Also with steel tubing and boxing, there is usually an internal seam that has to be allowed for.

On a similar note, don't have it too good an interference fit as you may have a build up of tolerances, ie it won't slide. 

I too would not want to hang a car off the mentioned fixing points, a recipe for disaster springs to mind, where are you located?

I have been in engineering all my life and look at many things too cynically, l myself wouldn't use those points, unless l had an exceptional shell, it's not what those fixing points were designed for.

On Mkllls, lVs and Vs, the bumper irons go into the chassis, which is a lot better than Mk 1s and 2s.

I would look at rear or front spring hanger points and front cross member bolt holes, or engine mounting area as you have already suggested, if your shell is weak in a few points, you will stress it, and it will only be when it is off the jig that you will know if it has twisted or distorted, or just cut out small sections at a time and repair. 

If you are making a jig from scratch, it may as well be a good design and to suit your purpose,  l would still put bracing tags everywhere that you can, prior to shell going on any jig, not trying to teach any one to suck eggs, fabrication and distortion has been with me since l was 16, working to very tight tolerances, l have made plenty of mistakes along the way, but a set of bottles and a grinder normally fix most cock ups in fabrication, not do easy with a car body shell though!!!

I'm quite practicle too:biggrin:.

I understand forces and stress which is why I don't want to, if I can help it, use the bumper mounts. My thoughts are to have clear unfettered access to the complete underside so front and rear valance's, bumper mounts etc can be replaced whilst on the spit, not possible with the ready made ones. I understand that the jig footprint would need to extend  much further under the car to counter balance the further reach to the engine cross member of course and much bracing of the jig 'arms' and jig 'pivot' to counteract the extra stresses. The shell itself is strong , excellent almost, between the two mounting points I'm suggesting front and rear. I would also diagonally brace the door openings and B posts.

It's all in the thinking stage at the moment but I'd love to hear from someone who's got one to share pivot point height and a few other measurements to save some head scratching?

This is one my Dad built years ago, it worked well, probably just needed some casters on it.

If you look at my thread you can see it many times, it was home made and later i added hydraulic posts for ease height adjustment

20180729_101029.jpg

• Thanks 1

If you look at the details of my spit, it had arms that also went under the car and fixed to the spring hanger and the chassis rail on the front

e.g

image.png

• Like 1

Sorry guys, I never received alerts that peeps had replied to my thread.

I've got one now, local guy who got himself one then never used it, cost £120 so pleased with that. 

I've just got to make car mounts and probably fit castors. Lots of non cortina stuff going on at the moment but I hope to be making a start on the car early winter.

On 11/17/2020 at 2:39 PM, Neil. said:

If you look at the details of my spit, it had arms that also went under the car and fixed to the spring hanger and the chassis rail on the front

e.g

image.png

I like that idea.

Thanks.

On 11/15/2020 at 9:11 AM, brian grech said:

If you look at my thread you can see it many times, it was home made and later i added hydraulic posts for ease height adjustment

20180729_101029.jpgnice. Any pics of the ram set up?