brian grech

Mk3 Burtonpower -1inch springs problems on hard braking

Hi all was wondering if i have a castor problem maybe it is putting the suspension out of alignment.Will try that too with tips given a couple of years ago here.

Thanks

Edited by brian grech

There are several cars that have the rubber pad, I fit a lot of coil overs to customers cars, Ford Focus, BMW etc or make some out of a scrap lorry inner tube, Burton Power are only a supplier,

it' buy rubbish and sell for lots of profit, the L bracket or other method should keep spring in check, or a small u clamp to lock it in position.

• Like 1

Buy the way they compressed 

One didn’t move the other did 

i just give up and cut a hole coil of the stock ones the car sat perfect then!!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

Probably more poor quality (cheap crap to boost profit margin) from Burton as usual.

Short of heating & bending best bet would be to weld a thick flat piece of metal to arm to keep spring from moving outwards.

That would be my solution to the problem also.

It looks like the diameter of the spring is too large, allowing the cut end to walk down the slope.

• Like 1

On further thoughts (yes it did hurt) is possibly a mk1-2 Granada spring as there slightly bigger.

3 hours ago, johnny boy said:

That would be my solution to the problem also.

It looks like the diameter of the spring is too large, allowing the cut end to walk down the slope.

Yes the do look bigger than Tibbs pic 

I had the front springs on my Mk3 custom made by Sheffield springs, they have bee on for 10 years or so with no probs, rears are coil overs by Spax so not relevant, the springs on my Crusader were from Burtons, I bought them in 2012 so may have been from a different supplier to Burtons they are fine, guess they come from China now.....

• Like 1

Been on Alibaba, prices for coil springs are ridiculously cheap, so is everything else, but it is Chinese quality, I just purchased some led bulbs for the Merc, supposedly UK seller, got them today, from CHINA, one has failed already!!!! 

• Like 1

Hi adjusted the caster and things seem to have improved however i am not sure that i am out of the woods yet. Today i realised that the top part from burton's springs is about 10 cm shorter as can be seen from the old spring parallel with the burton one in place forcomparison. The lower parts of both springs(that touch the raised  part on lower arm) are roughly in the same direction so that the comparison can be made for the top part. Another thing i noticed is that upon jacking the car up the springs seem to have a bit/no tension at all. What are your thoughts? Thanks

coils.jpg

Edited by brian grech

Unless it’s a well known brand I wouldn’t touch anything from Burtons, constantly hearing of poor quality/ fit and products not doing what they should. Just been reading on another forum about more problems with oil pumps, which have devastating results on engines.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Colr6 said:

Unless it’s a well known brand I wouldn’t touch anything from Burtons, constantly hearing of poor quality/ fit and products not doing what they should. Just been reading on another forum about more problems with oil pumps, which have devastating results on engines.

I used to believe in Burtonpower but i am not so sure about my belief nowadays! Ironically 3 weeks ago i ordered a set of new standand height springs from them again.

Edited by brian grech

3 minutes ago, brian grech said:

I used to believe in Burtonpower but i a no not so sure about my belief! Ironically 3 weeks ago i ordered a set of new standand height springs from them again.

Hope you got free return postage....lol

Just now, Colr6 said:

Hope you got free return postage....lol

I live in Malta so didn't bother to ask as i know a lot of if and buts would prevail ..

I've been saying this for ages Thier stuff is just over priced tat but was  flamed ( present company excepted) by those that must have names darlings.

Than quality by doing some research & getting advice.

Edited by sheffieldcortinacentre

22 hours ago, sheffieldcortinacentre said:

I've been saying this for ages Thier stuff is just over priced tat but was  flamed ( present company excepted) by those that must have names darlings.

Than quality by doing some research & getting advice.

Couldn’t agree more, when people send me stuff to sort the problems are usually attributed to burtons parts somewhere along the line.