Jump to content
brian grech

Mk3 Burtonpower -1inch springs problems on hard braking

Recommended Posts

Hi, i'm having problems with one(don't know why the diver side is giving me problems) of the -1"springs from burtonpower on sudden braking and speed bumps. It is not staying in place and the ride high is altered so much so that the 13 inch rims/tyres rub on cornering and bumps. Everything is new as all of you following my thread for 5 years know. What is causing the problem as i have tried everything in vain?Help greatly appreciated as i 'm stuck on what's the solution. The pic shows the spring as it sits now -out off place

Some info;

-The spring is the right way round

-all bushes new

- all tightened as hard as i could

- the tie/rod stabiliser having the arb wasn't on this model but i fitted one with  arb -if that makes any difference

- tyres same size all round

--what else ....

 

spring problem.jpg

Edited by brian grech

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, brian grech said:

Hi, i'm having problems with one(don't know why the diver side is giving me problems) of the -1"springs from burtonpower on sudden braking and speed bumps. It is not staying in place and the ride high is altered so much so that the 13 inch rims/tyres rub on cornering and bumps. Everything is new as all of you following my thread for 5 years know. What is causing the problem as i have tried everything in vain?Help greatly appreciated as i 'm stuck on what's the solution. The pic shows the spring as it sits now -out off place 

Some info;

-The spring is the right way round

-all bushes new

- all tightened as hard as i could

- the tie/rod stabiliser having the arb wasn't on this model but i fitted one with  arb -if that makes any difference

- tyres same size all round

--what else ....

 

spring problem.jpg

 

 

Why is it out of place ?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

oooh! I see it now, it would appear that the spring is too wide at the bottom, cousing the spring to slip,

 

Do you have the original spring to size up against?

 

 

Edited by TIB3300

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, TIB3300 said:

oohh!

If you look at the red markings i've done they are out of line, the bottom part should be nexto to the raised bit of the wishbone 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just took some pictures on mine for you

 

 

IMG_20201108_123124089.jpg

IMG_20201108_123128263.jpg

Edited by TIB3300
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, TIB3300 said:

Just took some pictures on mine for you

 

 

IMG_20201108_123124089.jpg

IMG_20201108_123128263.jpg

Thanks Tibbs thats the way they should be seated, sometimes i think that burtonpower hve their springs not right,as in diameter,thickness of coil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, TIB3300 said:

oooh! I see it now, it would appear that the spring is too wide at the bottom, cousing the spring to slip,

 

Do you have the original spring to size up against?

 

 

yes i have the original rusty ones to check with. Thanks again i really appreciate your help as i'm giving up!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Miss J aka Danish, has issues with burton springs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, TIB3300 said:

I think Miss J aka Danish, has issues with burton springs

As you said i will check the diameter as i think the bottom might be bigger and thus subject to free play

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Make an L bracket coming off your anti roll bar bolts to keep the spring in situ, or weld a sort of u clamp onto the bottom arm that will lock the spring in place, not ideal, or back to standard springs. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another idea, a lot of springs sit on a rubber pad, would mean dismantling your suspension to get one in, unless you split it and fed it in under the spring. I know from experience the 3/4/5 springs are under a lot of pressure, so you shouldn't really be getting this problem, perhaps a build up of painted surfaces not allowing the spring to grip metal to metal so to speak.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Probably more poor quality (cheap crap to boost profit margin) from Burton as usual.

Short of heating & bending best bet would be to weld a thick flat piece of metal to arm to keep spring from moving outwards.

Edited by sheffieldcortinacentre
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve had one set from them ,one spring was a different poundage from the other 

and another set was so stiff they hardly moved !

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, GhiaMk4/5 said:

Another idea, a lot of springs sit on a rubber pad, would mean dismantling your suspension to get one in, unless you split it and fed it in under the spring. I know from experience the 3/4/5 springs are under a lot of pressure, so you shouldn't really be getting this problem, perhaps a build up of painted surfaces not allowing the spring to grip metal to metal so to speak.

What rubber pad would you use?Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, J2S said:

I’ve had one set from them ,one spring was a different poundage from the other 

and another set was so stiff they hardly moved !

 

 

Have been told that by another guy on fb, how did you check the poundage please?Thanks for feedback

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...