MrRodders

Can I fit a brake servo?

New to posting so plse be gentle!

I've a 2.8litre Marcos Martina - but before you say "it's not a Cortina", please be aware that the important stuff (suspension, brakes, steering, rear axle) is all Mk 4 Cortina (and the engine/gearbox is Granada).

I'm after some advice please - it needs "significant" brake pressure to stop it rapidly. It has no servo, the brake master cylinder has "Girling 74660294.8.0325" cast on its side, and a red plastic band with "66197 0238/62 440X" embossed on it. Brakes are bled, pads and discs/drums are new and run in.

Question is: does anyone know if I can fit a servo to this master cylinder (if so, off what car?), or should I ditch it and find another master cylinder/servo (but which one?) and fit that?

You can see that there is some space for a servo (max diameter of 16 inches). I'd rather not fit a remote servo if I can help it (I'd rather not put it in the boot, and the bonnet is already pretty full of V6!).

All advice welcome!

20201011_142221 0,25MB.jpg

20201011_142258 0,25MB.jpg

I'd say a std cortina one should fit there.

Main thing you need to know is the distance between the two mounting bolts as most MK3/4/5's use the same one ( approximately 80mm), except the very last ones which are a narrower version.

Steve - many thanks for the welcome!

Sheffieldcortinacentre - thanks- it's about 3.5" between the mounting bolts (which is a little over 80mm). I'd be hoping to swap the master cylinder onto the "new" servo - are the servos reliable? Anything to watch out for on an old one?

Never really had a problem I can think of.

The MK3/4 upto 78ish are smaller dia & around 3in deep, then onwards their bigger dia but only inch or so deep so will give you a couple of options.

But feel the same in use.

Just make sure the plastic fitting ( vac pipe goes to) is there & not broken.

Unfortunately I've non. Left but there plentiful so fetch around £25.

Always liked Marcos, welcome and hope you get some stopping power.

Hi Sheffieldcortinacentre - thanks for the advice - I'll look out for a servo with a slightly more knowledgeable air now!

Thanks Ghia Mk4/5 - if not, you'll read about it in the papers!