Sign in to follow this  
jonny.k

Tax and mot exemtion application.

I know this question has probably been asked before but i can't find an answer anywhere. My Mk5 Tina is now 40yrs old with a build date of November 1980 and a registration date of Jan 6th 1981. Does that mean that i can now register it as tax and mot exempt going off the build date, or do i have to wait untill 06th Jan 2021  to do it? And if i can do it now, how do i go about it ? I'm assuming that i have to do it at a post office so they can send the V5 off, and do i need to get a V112 form( Declaration of exemption from mot) to take with me, and how will the post office know that the build date is Nov 1980 when the V5 says only the registration date.

It goes on build date so yours is a 1980 so in 2021 is "over" 40 years old, OVER is the important bit yes you have to tell them in present climate don't know which way is best!?.

You should be in luck.  The government's site (Link) says "If you do not know when your vehicle was built, but it was registered before 8 January 1980, you do not need to pay vehicle tax from 1 April 2020" so assuming they allow the same 8 days grace next year that should apply to you :biggrin:

I believe you will still need to tax (or SORN) it until 31 March 2021 but you can get a refund after that

So follow the rules on the link.  If you have an MOT then all is well.  If not you should be able to give them a V112.

Why would i have to wait till April to have free tax when it's 40yrs old now? I don't understand.

Because doing both by calendar year would be to sensible.

So tax is by tax year which has nothing to do with road tax but we need to keep beuracrats in work.

My 79 Mk4 was registered 21st Feb 1979 and build date is January 1979. I couldn't apply for "Historic vehicle" which means free road tax until April of this year although the car was 40 years old last year.  MOT wise my car was MOT exempt last year but as I understand it on the data base it flags up as no MOT so I had mine tested as normal to save any agro. I would also had to have submitted a V112 form at the post office whilst taxing it.  As I understand you don't need to do anything for MOT exemption if you have Historic Vehicle status.

I checked mine on the MOT history at gov.uk website and it says  "This vehicle's MOT has expired"  which is correct but I thought I was exempt ?

Basically you are MOT exempt at 40 years (if you submit the V112 form) and tax free at 41. Seems all a load of BS to me..

All I did was take the logbook to the post office and explained I would like to tax this vehicle which is 41 years old and is Historic. They filled the logbook in, I signed it and they sent it off. I had to wait a fair few weeks for the logbook to return. It got to the point I thought it wasn't going to arrive. They don't rush when you're getting free tax. 

Edited by mk4savage

I didn’t send any forms out for my mot

just ticked the box online when doing tax

shows its tax and tested online 

J2S.. I'll remember that for when I re tax mine in April. When I taxed it this year it still had an MOT. cheers

It says no mot/expired or similar again to complicated to put exempt!

Sometimes when it's MOT exempt it will say "No Results Returned". That's what a 'Vehicle Check' comes back with for my Mk3 but an 'MOT check' comes back with the red box saying 'This vehicles MOT has expired'. This vehicle may be MOT exempt, for more information refer to MOT exemption guidance  Click the link and it will give you a V112 form. I wish Swansea would update their system. I took my V112 to the Post Office and the counter staff entered the details on her comp a year or two back now. It's a duff system.

Edited by Beeper